Switzerland--Thun, Spiez, or Interlaken

Sep 17th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Switzerland--Thun, Spiez, or Interlaken

My wife and I are planning a trip to the above region in late April 2006, but can't decide which of the above towns should be our destination. It appears that Interlaken has more possibilities for hotel accommodations and would be more centralized for transportation---trains, and bus tours. The more you read on this subject, the more confused I get. It seems both Thun, and Spiez have somewhat limited hotel possibilities.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, we can't decide whether to rent a car, or depend on trains and tour buses for our transportation. We planning on flying into Zurich airport and staying 3 days in the region listed above before going back to Zurich and renting a car for the rest of our stay. After spending 3 days in Switzerland, we will be spending the rest of ou vacation--7 days in the Lake Constance area of Germany. Do you have any thoughts on the car rental vs the public transportation in Switzerland? Also, by car, how long of a drive is it from Zurich to Thun, and from Thun to Spiez, and again from Spiez to Interlaken? It would appear the logical thing to do is rent a car since we will be going back to Zurich after 3 days to rent a car? You ideas on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Do you have any suggestions to hotels in Thun, Spiez, or Interlaken?

We have never been to this area and we would appreciate any suggestions you could give us would be helpful.
Sep 17th, 2005, 05:23 AM

Hi. I'm sure someone else can help you with driving info. Thun, Spiez, and Interlaken are not very far apart along what I would imagine would be a lovely drive. I use the trains and boats exclusively. Of the three towns I think Thun is the most interesting, Spiez is the smallest, and you are correct in thinking that Interlaken is a rail hub, especially if your idea is to go up into the mountains from there.

Your decision will depend upon what it is you're hoping to see and experience during your three days. We stayed in the tiny village of Leissigen between Spiez and Interlaken, and we daytripped all over from there. I'm not helping your decision making process, I know, but keep coming back for more. Have you visited the website thunersee.ch ? Later, J.
Sep 17th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

To: JMW44

Thanks for your reply to my questions. In the tiny village of Leissigen, did you stay in a hotel, or what? Could you give me the name of the place you stayed? Also, did it have a private bath? Again, we know nothing about this area.

Your comments will be appreciated.
Sep 17th, 2005, 07:28 AM

In answer to your question about car rentals: You do not need to drive in this region. There is very efficient public transportation: trains, funiculars, cable cars.

All the towns you mentioned are at sea level. If you plan spending much of your 3 days in the mountains, I suggest staying in Lauterbrunnen instead. It is a short distance up the mountain from Interlaken. From Lauterbrunnen you can more easily visit other mountain towns that are higher up (e.g. Wengen, Murren), and you can also easily take day trips to Interlaken and the other lake towns.

While staying in Lauterbrunnen, I took a daytrip to both Thun and Spiez. I was not that impressed with either place, but of the two, I liked Thun more. But neither town was as convenient as Lauterbrunnen for an overnight base.
Sep 17th, 2005, 07:54 AM

Can't be of much help, but will top for the love of Switzerland! And note that the train system is amazing.
Sep 17th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Hi. The two-star hotel in which I stayed has closed, but here is a three-star:
http://www.kreuz-leissigen.ch/

You might like to take a look at it. Just a short walk along the lake from the train station or the boat dock.

If you are interested in staying lakeside with the possibility of a daytrip into the mountains and a daytrip to Lucerne or Thun, then might I suggest that you consider Brienz on the neighboring lake, Brienzersee? Because it is on the lakeside facing the oberland, the mountain views are more spectacular than from Spiez or Leissigen, which have their backs to the mountains. Later, J.
Sep 17th, 2005, 11:11 AM

JMW44: Brienz is absolutely beautiful. They will appreciate all the tourism they can get, especially due to the flood damage.

(Sorry...I couldn't resist.)
Sep 17th, 2005, 12:02 PM

We stayed at this hotel in Thun.

http://www.minotel.com/minotelPublic...otelCode=CH248

The hotel is located right next to Thun Castle and has wonderful views of the alps. Thun is a beautiful little town with lots of shops, boutiques and restaurants. Interlaken is only 20 minutes away by train. From Interlaken you can catch the Jungfrau railways up to the Murren, Wengen areas and eventually all the up to the Jungfraugoch (sp)a fantastic site at the "Top Of Europe". Hope this helps.
Aloha!
Sep 17th, 2005, 12:52 PM

I would pick either Thun or Interlaken depending on what you plan to do during the 3 days. Thun was a much more interesting town - by far. I think the next time I go to that area I might stay there (we were based in Interlaken). Very easy access to Bern, and you could get to the mountains without much difficulty. But as someone said, if you plan to mostly be in the area to see the mountains, then Lauterbrunnen would be a better choice. Interlaken itself was pretty boring - tons of hotels and restaurants and tacky tourist shops. But it's centerally located so equally easy access to Thun/Bern/the lake as well as the mountains.

That whole area is extremely well connected by train. Approximate times were Bern to Thun: 1/2 hour, Thun to Speiz: 15 minutes, Speiz to Interlaken: 15 minutes, Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen: 1/2 hour.

Speiz didn't do much for me, quiet little town with an OK castle. I'd probably give it a quick stop since you'll have to go through it, but stay somewhere else.
Sep 18th, 2005, 04:47 AM

According to H'Traveler, you can see the mountains from the minotel in Thun. So I stand corrected. Then again, from Brienz you've got lakeview plus mountain view. But a much smaller place to be sure. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of these towns. J.