Sardinia, Ischia, Elba,? Help please..

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have 7 days,want island with easiest accessability from airport. Want to go from airport to island. Will not have a car. Want to be on the beach, good restaurants, cafes within walking distance. Hotel on the water. Suggestions as to which island, hotel? I will be traveling solo..Thanks
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:51 AM
GAC

Definitely Sardinia, since you can connect from an international/intercontinental flight at either Milan Malpensa or Rome Fiumicino and fly to any of Alghero, Olbia or Cagliari. Here are general hotel recommendations:

Near Olbia: there are good hotels up the coast to Golfo Aranci, and further up the coast on the Costa Smeralda (which is very, very expensive, up to $1,500 per night). There is bus service from the Olbia airport directly to Olbia city and to the Costa Smeralda resort towns and all the way north to Palau (gateway to La Maddalena island).

Near Alghero: there are seven resort hotels directly on the water in the Porto Conte area northwest of Alghero, very, very close to the Alghero airport. I can recommend a few. Prices go up to $350 per night at the most expensive hotel. There is a large and beautiful nuraghe along the main road, and the famous Grotte di Nettuno are nearby, reachable by boat or bus. There are local buses to Alghero (30 minutes travel time) throughout the day into the late evening (allowing for extended day trips o Alghero, even after dinner) which stop directly in front of four of these seven resort hotels. There are other good hotels in Alghero proper. Alghero's old town is very charming and wonderful for evening strolls along the medieval ramparts. Alghero is also a good town for partying.

Near Cagliari: there are several good beach hotels at Santa Margherita di Pula, 60 minutes by public bus south of Cagliari. Prices go all the way to $800 per night. Very easy to reach from the Cagliari airport. The beautiful Roman ruins of Nora are nearby, reachable by bus in 10 minutes. You can take a side trip to Cagliari during the day by bus to see the archeological museum and the Castello District. Bus service every 30-60 minutes into the evening.

I personally would choose either Santa Margherita di Pula or the Porto Conte area near Alghero. I find these areas much more representative of the "true" Sardinia, compared to the rather glitzy and artificial Costa Smeralda.

I can give you further recommendations if you tell me your budget parameters.
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:49 AM

Note that Sardinia is a big island. The train journey from one end to the other takes several hours. You therefore have no feeling of being on an island. You can go around Elba or Ischia by road or by boat in a day. Sardinia is an interesting place to visit, but doesn't seem like an island.
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:28 AM
GAC

Geoff is quite correct. Travel north to south on Sardinia takes at least 4 hours by train, slightly less by bus.
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.Afraid this Island may be too pricey for me. Only want to spend "tops" $150.00. Is this possible for a nice hptel by the water? Thanks
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:57 PM
GAC

YES. Try the Hotel Porto Conte in Porto Conte, northwest of Alghero, and the Hotel Mare e Pineta at Santa Margherita di Pula, south of Cagliari. Both hotels are in your price range and have very good web sites. You can reach Hotel Porto Conte by bus from Alghero in 30 minutes; Mare e Pineta by bus from Cagliari in 60 minutes; bus service is frequent all day long. Both properties are on the beach, have a/c and are classified three stars.