Where to stay in Sardinia?

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Diana

Where to stay in Sardinia?

We have 5 days in Sardinia, mostly to enjoy the beaches. As far as exact location in Sardinia, we are wide open. We just want to experience great nature and great beaches. What town do you recommend as base and perhaps, hotel suggestions? We would spend about $120/night or so.
Thank you!

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Patrick

When are you going? This is important because as I've been booking my Sardinian hotels I've noticed that many are about double the price in August. I'm not into the beaches, being from Florida, so not sure that my choices of places in towns or on small ports would be of much help.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:27 PM
GAC

1. Costa Sud: Santa Margherita di Pula or Chia Laguna
2. Costa Sud-est: Villasimius or Costa Rei
3. Costa Est: Cala Gonone
4. Costa Smeralda (Nord-est)
5. Costa Nord-ovest: Porto Conte
6. Bosa Marina
7. Castelsardo

I can also recommend specific hotels

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Diana

Yes, please recommend hotels. We are going in early September. Being from San Francisco we are starved for some real sunshine and can't wait for the beaches. Thanks!

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:58 AM
GAC

1. In Chia Laguna (south of Caglari),the Grand Hotel Chia Laguna, 10 minutes south of Santa Margherita di Pula. Buses to Cagliari. See website. A bit above your price range ($200 per night including full breakfast and dinner for two), and very large (400 rooms), but gorgeous beach and delicious buffet meals. Night entertainment. Very few Americans, mainly Italians and Europeans. There are a few budget hotels around S.M. di Pula, but I don't have any specific recommendation.

2. In Villasimius, the Simius Playa or the Stella Maris. In Costa Rei, the Sant'Elmo Beach Hotel. Buses to Cagliari. See websites. All in the $200 per night range (breakfast and dinner). These locations are east of Cagliari on a beautiful coastline

3. Hotel Costa Dorada in Cala Gonone. See website. Buses to Dorgali and Nuoro.

4. No specific recommendation: there are scores of choices, many quite expensive. Do a web search.

5. In Alghero, the Hotel Villa Las Tronas, some-time summer resdence of King Vittorio Emanuele III. Superb location, intimate and private setting, refined surroundings. Only 31 rooms. Must reserve ahead to get a sea view. Can describe further on request. In Porto Conte (near Alghero), the Hotel Porto Conte or the Hotel El Faro. The latter is much more expensive. Buses run to Alghero. Both have web sites. Nearby, the Hotel Dei Pini (need to have a car)

6. In Bosa Marina, no specific recommendation. There are buses to Alghero

7. In Castelsardo, definitely the Hotel Riviera (described in a separate posting) There are buses to Sassari and to Santa Teresa di Gallura