Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Montreux too crowded to visit during Jazz Festival?

May 19th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

I just realized that I will be driving into Montreux Switzerland the day the jazz festival begins (July 4, 2003) From the wave of concern that came over me, I think that my idea of a calm few days around the Montreux area, and getting a decent hotel room just went bye bye. Is the Montreux area really, really mobbed during the Jazz festival?
May 19th, 2003, 11:57 AM

Hello Again lauren45,

Sorry haven't been in Montreux during a jazz fest since 1968 -- it was a pretty hippy dippy happy place at that time .

But your one chance to combine some peace and quiet with some great jazz --and maybe a few jazz greats -- might be to stay in Glion. Even during the most most crowded seasons, Glion remains quiet. There are two four-star hotels there, the Victoria, where I've stayed three or four times, and the Righi Vaudois, just about a block downhill from the Victoria. It would be worth an e-mail to see if their prices rise for the fest.

You can get to Glion two ways: from the Montreux gare take the rack railway up, or take the funicular up from the station in front of the church in Territet.

Let me know if you'd like more info.

s
May 19th, 2003, 12:04 PM

Lauren, I went to part of the Montreux Jazz festival last year. I stayed in Vevey, a 10 minute train ride from Montreux, and it was not crowded. (the only negative was a big carnival that was in the Marche - the main square... very noisey, but I don't think it had any connection to the festival). Montreux on the other hand, was very crowded. It was fun to walk around for a day, shop the booths along the promenade and listen to a couple of groups in the free venues. But it was not calm!

S's recommendation for Glion is also good. Or check Blonay for quiet.
May 19th, 2003, 04:22 PM

I went to the Jazz festival two years ago. Although there were people I still had a wonderful time, it did not seem too crowded to me. our day outings away from the Jazz area was quiet, relaxing and very enjoyable. I say go, and maybe even try to nab some tickets to the festival one night. if you are a music lover, this is the place to be!
May 22nd, 2003, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

swanndav2000- Tried posting this reply, but it did not post. Trying again
Maybe I can still get to Montreux, if reservations available, in spite of the Jazz Festival. Can you get to the Victoria Hotel by car? Looks like it overlooks the autoroute, is that a problem, noisy, etc? I do not perceive the Victoria as a typical Accor like hotel standard. Does it have a nice view of the lake, and how are the services, accommadations. Don't expect air conditioning up there, and other western paint by number provisions. If you have time, would appreciate a reply. Thanks for the time and effort.
May 22nd, 2003, 11:06 AM

If Montreux hotels are booked, I'd work my way back up the lake and try Vevey or Lausanne. Both towns are right along the train route coming out from Geneva. The jazz festival is big, but not that BIG~ haha.
May 22nd, 2003, 12:17 PM

Hi lauren45,

I almost didn't have time to post a reply to this . . . I was guzzling champagne in the "dream vacation" location you described on another post!!

Well I'm not real familiar with many Accor hotels, so I can't comment on how the Victoria compares to others. It is also a member of the Relais & Chateaux group, so their website may have more information (www.relaischateaux.com or .ch).

Yes, the Victoria is ideally accessed by car because of the extra train connection to get to Glion & then the two-block walk to the hotel. Anyway, it's right on the road Route de Caux. I don't recall any noise from the road, either the Route de Caux or the highway below.

The first time I stayed there, I was amazed at its high level of service; lately, though, I've come to expect it!! The staff seems to be invisible --yet every time I left the room for a few minutes, my room would magically improve (made up quickly, added fruit, turned down, etc). I could never catch them at their work.

One time I arrived in Montreux on a whim without hotel reservations, and all the hotels on the lake were full. I got a room at the Victoria, but they couldn't give me a lake view room, they said. However, when I arrived, they had had a cancellation and gave me a corner room with a panoramic view of the lake as well as the mountains up to Glion. The manager seemed to be as excited as I was to have managed to give me the room. And it was really a charming room -- with its pale blue colors and Empire furniture, it seemed like a beautiful dream.

And the views are spectacular! I think I posted a photo with a view from Glion at my journal website http://www.igougo.com/planning/journ...JournalID=7825. One of my favorite after-dinner rituals was to take a glass of scotch to the terrace and watch the lights twinkling around the lake.

I really do like this hotel; it's a true gem. I hope this information is specific enough to give you some ideas!

s
May 22nd, 2003, 12:40 PM

lauren45,

Oh, I forgot, I wanted to add my notes about the ferry rides on Lac Leman that you asked on another post. I know you got a good reply from hike, but I'd like to add my own thoughts.

The ferry website is www.cgn.ch. Although the English pages are still unfinished, just click on "horaires" and then use the drop-down menus for your departure station ("a partir de") and arrival station ("arriver a"). Be sure to enter the right day. The concept isn?t at all difficult!! Just determine where you want to go, buy a ticket at the pier, and go! You can return by ferry as well if you have the time. Most of the piers/docks have the route maps & schedules posted as well, so if you're undecided about your trip, just take a few minutes to get it right.

I think one of the best trips might be to Rivaz/St Saphorin. You could catch an early train to Chexbres (change in Vevey), enjoy the village, and walk down the hillside vineyards to the lake. Follow the signs to Rivaz or St Saphorin. At Rivaz, have lunch at the Auberge de Rivaz, and then cross the street (underground) to get to the dock and take the ferry back to Montreux. The ferry runs Rivaz-Montreux at 14.35-15.20 and 18.44-19.23. If you want to take the ferry out and train back, the ferry runs Montreux-Rivaz 9.30-10.12 and 17.55-18.40.

Another idea would be to take the ferry to Chillon (just a 10-minute ride), then walk back to Montreux and stop at a few cafes enroute.

Anyway, best of luck!

s

May 22nd, 2003, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

swanndav2000- Merci beaucoup monsieur. The really nice thing about this message board is the wonderful, freely given specific information that can be obtained, with the main effect of being helpful and kind. Thank you. The concepts I receive here will either map out my moves, or energize the idea to do something similar. Either way, they move the itinerary closer to fruition.