Santorini to Athens Ferry

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken the high speed ferry from Santorini to Athens before? It looks like it is about 4 1/2 hours and costs about 60 euro. My other option is to fly but of course it costs a lot more, 157 euro. Was just wondering if it is scenic and worth the extra travel time? Thank you!
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 05:11 PM

What you'll see is each port where the ferry stops on the way back to Athens but there are no outside deck areas on a highspeed ferry, so you'll be looking at the scenery through salt-glazed windows.
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 05:14 PM
WWK

I found the high-speed ferries quite nauseating, depending on the day and sea conditions. If it's within budget, I'd definitely fly!
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Ok that is good to know WWK! I will be 6 months pregnant so I definitely don't want to be nauseous at all if I don't have to. I'm thinking we will spring for the flight. Thank you!
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 06:44 PM

Yes, do pay for the flight. The ferry ride is really, really boring and for some reason ours took about an hour longer than the time suggested. Possibly just lots and lots of people boarding etc.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 03:59 AM
WWK

mmodrich,

Are you going soon? Flights to the islands fill up fast. If you know your dates, I'd advise booking as soon as you can. It's very easy to do online. Good luck!
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

WWK,

We leave on August 10th. I'm going to book today for sure. Thank you! On a side note, I am taking the ferry from Mykonos to Santorini. I'm hoping I don't get sea sick!
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 11:23 AM

mmodrich,
You do have some control on the type of boat you take. If you look at www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp, you see several types of boats used for this trip offered by different companies.

At the two extreme ends of the sea calmness, the movements on the boats are similar. If the sea is mirror flat, all voyages on any type of boat would be smooth. If the sea is extremely rough, none of the boats run. In between, there are differences.
The actual boat schedules are not known until much closer to the voyage. So take this into account when you look at the proposed schedule.
Small,fast boats bounce around more on choppy seas. The company noted by "IJ", Seatjet consortium, operates small and large boats on this route. Additionally, the Seajet seems to offer less reliable schedule than other companies. The "MF" Hellenic Seaways operates big car ferry catamarans on this route. The "ST" Bluestar, operates slower big car ferries and is most resistant to bad weather for better or for worse. However, for Mykonos-Santorini, you have to change the boat in Paros or Naxos or Ios if you take the Bluestar from Mykonos. The Bluestar ferries are not high-speed and you can choose to be on the outdoor deck the whole trip. These are unassigned economy seats.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 06:16 PM
WWK

mmodrich,

I would recommend asking your doctor if there's anything you're allowed to take as a preventative. I would also recommend taking one of the larger boats!
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Good idea!