Santorini to Athens by ferry or plane?

Mar 10th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Santorini to Athens by ferry or plane?

My husband and I are planning a babymoon and flying into Athens and continuing on to Santorini by plane in late May. After a week in Santorini we want to come back to Athens for 2-3 days before flying back to the states. I was leaning towards taking the ferry from Santorini to Athens with the idea that we may take in some beautiful views of the Aegean and it might be an enjoyable 4.5 hour trip. However after reading more about the Greek ferries I'm concerned about delays/cancellations/over crowded less than enjoyable ride. Has anyone done the ferry trip recently? Would we be better served just flying back to Athens? Price is comparable at this point. Thanks in advance.
Mar 10th, 2019, 02:31 PM

If the ferry takes only 4.5 hours it will be a highspeed, where you sit inside the cabin, possibly not even near a window. Some do have small decks at the rear, but they are very windy when the ferry is at full speed.

A conventional ferry which does have open decks takes about 8 hours from Santoríni to Athens. The views are excellent for the first few hours until the ferry passes Paros, then it’s mostly just open sea until the mainland. It’s also fun to watch the unloading/loading each time the ferry stops at a port.
Mar 11th, 2019, 10:55 PM

If it was me, I'd get the ferry back to Athens, as long as you can spare the time. We've arrived at Santorini by plane, catamaran and ferry. The plane ride is quick but you don't see much, the catamaran is difficult to move around and you can't go outside and you also can't see much. The ferries are huge and you can go up on deck and take photos. The views of Santorini from the water are wonderful. There will be places to buy food and drink and different areas to sit, both inside and outside. It gives you a different mode of transport from your flight to the island and I think would add something to your trip.

Kay
Mar 12th, 2019, 09:15 AM

I would definately go by plane. It is only half an hour nad the issue with ferries is that they let you at Rafina which is 40 kilometers from city of Athens. Of course you can take ferry for. Peraeus but I think it is more hours.
Do not forget to see at Athens an Ancient Drama performance in City center with subtitles. First time in Athens
Mar 12th, 2019, 09:40 AM

Actually in late May there are more ferries from Santorini to Piraeus than to Rafina. If you do go to Rafina you can take a bus or taxi to Athens Airport, then the metro the rest of the way (or a bus all the way).

The only problem with conventional ferries, except the ones that leave Santorini in the wee hours of the morning is that they don't arrive in port until late in the evening or night. The timetables are showing Champion Jet 2 departing Santorini at 12:00 and arriving at Piraeus at 16:30 (it will probably be running an hour late by then), which is a reasonable time, and it's a fairly large catamaran. Don't, whatever you do, go on SeaJet 2 (aka Vomit Comet) or you will regret it.
Mar 13th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the input, really appreciate you taking the time to respond!