Reload this Page >

Hotel Wants My Credit Card Security Code

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:44 AM
AllyPally

Hello - I am trying to book online with a hotel in Athens and for the first time ever, in my experience, I am being asked for my 3 digit security code as part of the credit card booking guarantee. This is not something I would normally give out unless I was making an instant purchase online. I understand why they want it (to charge my card in the event of no show) however I am not really happy about giving it out.

Am I being overcautious? Has anyone else come across this?

Many thanks
AP

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had it happen more than once.

Doesn't your CC protect you from fraudulent transactions beyond the $50 limit.

If you are concerned about someone obtaining the security code this can happen on any site, not just a hotel's.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:21 AM

<< I understand why they want it (to charge my card in the event of no show) >>

It's so that the hotel know that the card is legit - or that the thief has had access to both sides of the card
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Jed

I have provided it many times. I'm not sure that the 'security code' provides much more security, since giving it out is becoming so common.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:36 AM

It seems to be common to ask for this in Greece; I had to do it with a travel agent in Athens last year.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Surely it's universal when the person offering the card is not physically present?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:44 AM

The purpose of the code is sort of a back up that you haven't just stolen a credit card number (there is a formula and believe it or not there are web sites which can generate legitemate credit card numbers)...it is quite common for any transaction where the card is not personally swiped to ask for that number so I wouldn't worry.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You are protected from fraudulent use so don't worry. And yes, I've been asked for it many times.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:00 AM

I've recently booked 7 hotels (on hotels' websites online) for an upcoming trip to the Baltics and had to supply the security code each time. I don't consider it a big deal anymore since everyone asks for it.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:37 AM

As a hotelier or T.A I am also asking these 3 digits. Thats for your security too. Some one clooned your card may not have this code so you are protected.
Also if you have a correspondance with a hotel this will be your proof to the bank if soemthing goes wrong.
6 Months ago in England my c. card was cllooned and on my return to home I found 4x 750 Euros taken from my card each from same vendor by 1 minute difference of each transactions. A car rental company in some islands. My bank asked to the bank at other end if I have my outhorization for this purchase and ofcourse there were non and I have been refunded.
Keep a copy of everything you send with dates etc and you should be OK with.
Happy travelling.
Murat
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:48 AM
AllyPally

Ok, thanks everyone! I feel much better now. I guess I wasn't happy handing it over when I'm only just reserving something a few months in advance, as opposed to ordering some online goods which I receive in a matter of days. And special thanks to Murat for extra reassurance!