Santorini - Perivolas, Katikies or Esperas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a "second honeymoon" trip to Santorini for early September and I've read a ton of reviews online (both Trip Advisor and Fodors) and I'm really struggling between three hotels -- Perivolas, Katikies or Esperas. Is the view better at Perivolas / Katikies with the full Caldera or is the sunset view better at Esperas? We want something very romantic (I actually kind of like the "rustic luxury" look of Perivolas) that's not crowded, etc. and we're not sure whether or not to splurge to stay on P / K or stay at Esperas and book one of their suites instead? I'm also concerned that some friends said that Katikies will often over-book and switch guests to a different hotel once they arrived. Any thoughts?? Thanks so much in advance!
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Of those 3 I would choose Perivolas every time. I agree about the rustic luxury, and I much prefer the day-long caldera view over the sunset view from Esperas, although it's an excellent hotel. To be fair, Esperas does have a partial caldera view as well. Above Esperas and consequently with a less-obstructed caldera view is Golden Sunset Villas. No pool, but the Lioyerma Cafe/Pool is next door and they've got an "arrangement" with GSV.

About Katikies overbooking, if that were to happen there are actually 3 properties in Oia owned by the same company, all of which practice the same excellent service: Katikies Hotel, Villa Katikies and Kirini. Hopefully they'd put you in one of their own hotels.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice! I've read some of your older posts so I was hoping you're still giving advice on Santorini How do you know this all??

That's good to know about Perivolas. That's the way I've been leaning for a while... an authentic "cave" experience with the gorgeous pool and great customer service. I guess I started to question the price (I mean - it is VERY expensive) and if we should go with a lower-priced version but stay in one of the best rooms. I had considered Ikies for a while too but of ALL the choices in Oia, you would recommend Perivolas? Appreciate your help!
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 10:50 AM

If a pool is a necessity then the best choices in Oia are Perivolas, Katikies, Kirini, Mystique, Ikies, Fanari Villas (sunset only), Esperas, Canaves Oia and Andronis Suites.

If you can accept a large outdoor jacuzzi tub instead of a pool the best choices are Aspaki Hotel (Endless Blue), Oia Castle Hotel, and Dream Blue at http://www.myblue.gr.

Oia Castle has a sunset view and two units have fabulous indoor grotto pools. Hopefully by the end of April the new Atlantis Suite will be available. I believe it will also have an indoor pool.

Oia Castle Hotel and Aspaki Hotel both have the same arrangement with the Lioyerma Cafe/Pool.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 11:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed at Esperas and it was OK, but I would not return there. I think the thing that was strange was that there weren't any Greeks on the staff and there wasn't any feeling of hospitality there. The pool wasn't appealing either and no one went in while we were there.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm... interesting. I looked into Oia Castle & Aspaki last night. They look great but I think we do want a pool. So then I guess we're looking at the others you mentioned... Andronis & Mystique are just CRAZY expensive so they are basically out. You first suggested Perivolas over Katikies and Esperas so would you still recommend that? I haven't really looked at Canaves Oia but if you think it's definitely worth looking into, I can check it out. I'm just ready to make a decision but I obviously don't want it to be the wrong one this far out!
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Just saw your reply too, HappyTravlr, so thanks for jumping in! That's helpful feedback.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Yes, I'd still recommend Perivolas. Nothing has changed in the last 4.5 hours!