Santorini: Katikies, Kirini, Mystique?

Jun 11th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Santorini: Katikies, Kirini, Mystique?

I am going to Santorini in October for my honeymoon. I am currently booked at Mystique, but have heard a few lukewarm reviews that have led me to consider Kirini or Katikies. I was wondering if anyone here had any experiences with a couple of these properties so I can get a good comparison. It is very tough to compare a "Kirini is wonderful" review with a "Katikies is wonderful" review. I was hoping to find something like, Kirini is great, but I like Katikies better for XYZ reasons (or visa versa).

Thanks!
Jun 12th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Bump.

Someone just posted some pics of Mystique. Room #4 is their Allure Suite (that I booked). So how does Room #4 compare to the Wet Junior at Kirini or the Senior Suite at Katikies?

Thanks
Jun 12th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Oops, here it is

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb142/wl2858/
Jun 18th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

One last try....anyone?
Jun 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM

All these hotels have excellent rooms. I had a look at an Allure Suite recently and was impressed by its minimalist sculptural "feel" and the very nice indoor jacuzzi. It's my understanding that all the rooms have the same neutral color scheme and use the same fabrics, which makes it easy for them but I have to say I like a little color in my surroundings, not just bland neutrals. For the money I think you'll get more from Kirini or Katikies, but in my opinion for the same money-or less-you'll get a lot more from Aspaki or Oia Castle.
Jun 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM

I'm not familiar with any of those hotels, so I cannot comment. However, I will tell you that the village of Oia is charming (on far west end of Santorini) and the hotel PERIVOLAS would be a memorable place for a honeymoon. It's built into former wine-storage caves on the side of a hill--has only 14 rooms--and a stunning infinity pool that was on the cover of Conde Nast Traveler magazine some years ago. Wherever you stay, be sure to visit the ruins at Akrotiri on the other end of the island. You'll learn why Santorini is considered the basis of the fable of Atlantis.
Jun 18th, 2007, 04:23 PM

I hate to be rude, but we stayed at PERIVOLAS last July, and thought it was dreadful and way overpriced except for its amazing view and location. My recommendation would be to check out anything BROTHERLEELOVE2004 suggests, since he's the resident Santorini expert, although I've also heard raves about Katikies.
Jun 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, right now I am leaning toward mystique because of the buy 3 nights get the fourth free promotion. However, I will keep checking on reviews in case I need to switch to Kirni.

Does anyone know what the room size differences are between the Allure Suite and the similiar suites at Kirini and Katikies?
Jun 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM
GBC

Hi Random987,

1) As a long-time reader of this board, I would give the suggestions of brotherleelove serious consideration.
We were happy that we did.

2) You are picking from some of the best and most expensive places from one of the best travel destinations on earth. May I suggest another approach -what makes some of these places better than another is the level of SERVICE that you may expect to receive. It may be worthwhile for you to reread some of the visitor comments with this in mind.
Jun 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Reading over my last remarks I reaized that I forgot to tell you that Aspaki and Oia Castle are not full-service hotels, but self-catering suites, although breakfast is included at the Oia Castle. If you require full-service then those you're considering are the best in the village.
Jun 21st, 2007, 11:16 AM

Random987,

How far in advance did you book this hotel? Just curious. My honeymoon isn't until May/June of next year, but figured I'd try to book early and use my Starwood points for a stay at Mystique. So far I haven't been able to book anything.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Hello.

I booked in March 2007 for a room in October 2007. There didn't seem to be a problem. Then again, the hotel opened in May, so there really wasn't any buzz created at that time.

Until I hear something very negative, I think I will keep the reservation as they have the Taste of Luxury package which includes stay 3 nights, fourth night free, free airport transfer, free breakfast, bottle of wine, fruit platter, etc. etc. Although the room is about 500 euro's with the promotion the effective rate is about 375 a night. Which is not too shabby.
Jul 26th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Any new reports on Mystique?
Jul 26th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Random,

We stayed at Kirini two yrs ago and it was fab.

I'd recomend the suites with the private pools or one of the upper tier suites. We had room 9 right off the pool with a HUGE terrace, but for a honeymoon, it does not offer too much privacy.

We found the staff great, location perfect, highly recommend!!!
Aug 4th, 2007, 01:25 PM

I'm going to Mystique in September. I did alot of research in this forum and others and this was the most affordable resort in Oia with a name and reputation I could trust (Starwood Luxury Collection). I also have a package, 4 nights for the price of 3, and it now looks very affordable at $400 per night. The others sounded nice, but I don't pay $600 night for anything. I'm keeping my reservation. If you want, I'll let you know what I thought, when I return 09/30.
HOpe this helps.
Oct 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Random 987-
Just returned from an awesome trip to Greece. You won't be disappointed at Mystique and the ladies at the front desk will bend over backwards to accomodate you if you have bad weather and they cancel your ferry.
We loved it!!!! Keep your reservation!
Volcano Villas, Perivolas and some of the others are not as good. Katikies and Kirini are twice the price.
Also, we had a wonderful (and affordable meal) at the restaurant outside of and infront of Katikies-it's a taverna. Wonderful place, great view, affordable-starts with a K. Ambrosia was also good, but bring lots of cash!
Oct 6th, 2007, 02:22 AM

Can't comment on these places but just stayed at Esperas and would strongly recommend it. Very quiet, all facilities, great view and central to Oia.
Oct 7th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for the update. We are definitely staying at Mystique and leave a week from tomorrow. We are just making our final tweaks to the itinerary (restaurants, etc.).