Santorini Hotel??

Search

Santorini Hotel??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santorini Hotel??

I realize that there have been alot of posts on this subject, but I am having a hard time figuring out where to stay. My wife and I are going for two nights the end of August and are having a hard time finding a room. We tried the Katikies which has no mre avail. unless we want to spend $500+ / night. I reserved a room at Sun Rocks, but from the differnt posts, it sounds like we would be better off staying in Oia.
Does anyone have any suggestions?? Perivolas is full, and I am not getting any answers from Esperas. Should I stay with Sun Rocks, or really try to stay somewhere else. It looks like we will have to spend around $300/ night, but I'd rather not spend more.
I appreciate any & all suggestions.
Thanks,

J
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:12 PM

This probably isn't your style, but I've been told that the best way to really experience the islands is to wait until you get there to get a room. Locals will meet each ferry and you can rent a room in their homes from them at a very very good price. This way you get to see you real people live and interact with the locals. When they meet there ferries they will often bring pictures of the rooms. You can get them to point out the location of their home on a map so you know how far it really is from the town and things you want to see. ALso they will provide transportation for you. I've heard than many residents have purpose built rooms and even seperate apartments for this exact purpose.

Just a thought if you want to be adventurous. No need to ever spend $300 US / night for a nice place to sleep.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Although the advice mentioned in the post above is normally a possibility - don't do it for the time you're traveling.

Doing such a thing in "high season" and an island that is so popular with tourists wouldn't be the best thing to do at all. You may end up having a tough time finding accomodation or rather you will get a place thats a bit far from everything.

Since places are not getting back to you - I would advise that you phone them to ask as it only takes a moment rather than fretting on why they're not responding to your email.

If you're concerned with the hefty prices you can always look elsewhere for accomodation (say on a beach or at a place a few minutes walk (10 -15 minutes) out of the "villages" and you could always rent a car or use the public transportation to get to Oia, Fira and the likes.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Here are a couple of links for hotels in Santorini. (They contain many of the same hotels though..)

http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/santorin/home.htm

http://www.santorinihotels.com/hotels.php

Just thought I'd like to add - if you get stressed out about accomodation etc. - then go with your gut instinct when deciding to book a place (meaning price range, location and what you ideally would like)
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks alot for the advice. I managed to book a room at Esperas and I'm looking forward to the trip.