Notices

Santo Mauro Hotel in Madrid

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Santo Mauro Hotel in Madrid

Does anyone have any feedback on this hotel? Especially the location. Here's the link: http://www.achotelsantomauro.com/indexes.html

Thank you!
Juliana
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 04:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Juliana,
Yes, the location in the upscale section of Chamberí (the "Embassy district") is attractive, even elegant and actually quiet for Madrid but a good 20 min. walk from the Prado. This 5 star property is now the flagship of the AC chain-used to belong to the NH group, whose CEO, Antonio Catalán, took the Santo Mauro with him to be one of the first in his own new hotel chain, the AC (his initials). I've had drinks in the lovely garden there but have never stayed, but we've stayed several times in the area, on the same street, at the NH Zurbano. Celebrities like its seclusion. Can't see how you could go wrong with this luxury boutique designer done hotel. The AC chain delivers lots of style and many extra amenities. It's hip.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Muito Obrigada!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Juliana,
Just a little update to reassure you.
The British Conde Nast Traveller did a comparison of the 5 of the top Madrid hotels in the Aug. issue, and here's some of what they said about the S.M:
"It combines turn-of-the-century luxury with clean, Asian-inspired modern decor. On a quiet residential street... The
duplex suites in the converted stables are the newest and best for families. Guests are treated respectfully and a little formally. Beautifully presented Spanish cuisine with an Asian twist. In summer, meals can be taken in the gardens. The serene gardesn, a wonderful place to unwind with a cocktail...This is one of the few (Madrid) hotels with a pool, but it's in an unappealing basement. It's hard not to love a hotel that doesn't charge for mini-bar drinks and snacks."

And the last part is true of the AC Gran Clase category hotels-the mini bar is free. Plus all the other amenities like robe, slippers, newspaper, umbrella, early morning (free) coffee downstairs, lightning fast laundry service. They're great.

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maribel,

I really do appreciate your follow up. Wow...a free mini bar - I've never heard of such a thing. My sweetheart will be in heaven!

I'll post my review upon my return (not until mid-October).

Muchas gracias,
Juliana

P.S. On my previous response I got mixed up between Portugese and Spanish in thanking you. But the sentiment is still the same : )