Sandy beach on costa del sol?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read that the beaches along the Costa del Sol are pretty disappointing. We're taking a family trip there in late Spring and I'm wondering if anyone could tell me some of the "nicer" beaches along that coast - preferably sand as opposed to rocky. We're interested in a beach/golf vacation. Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Me again....are we better off doing the Canary Islands or Majorca instead of Costa del Sol? We're from Florida so we're pretty spoiled by beaches. Will also be late April/early May - so where will it be warmest?
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:55 AM

We were in Nerja a few years ago, and the beach there was course sand - nice but not like the Carribean. We were there in late March, and the temps were in the mid 70's, just a bit too cool for swimming. Nerja is a very scenic (especially near the Parador) beach side resort town, not yet overrun with highrises. It's also not too far from Grenada, if you want to visit the Alhambra.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:59 AM

We were in Marbella in early April and the high temps were mid 80's - warm enough for swimming. But most guests were at the pool - I think many europeans generally do this since their beaches are often rocky.

Our hotel had a sandyish beach (but not nearly as nice as Long Island's Jones Beach - never mind a Carib island) - but I believe one or two of the most expensive hotels have tried to truck in sand to make the beaches better. Don;t know if they still are - or if it was successful.

I think in europe you have to acept that beaches in general just aren't very good - even if they're called sand.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:19 AM

We went to Costa del Sol several years ago, near Marbella, and the beach reminded me of the east coast of Fla. A fairly broad and frim beach - maybe like Daytona. In France (Nice) and Italy I have seen the rocky/pebble variety of beach. The beach at Costa del Sol was actually better than I thought it would be but in some areas the development is unbelievable - that is what surprised me. My husband golfed - he enjoyed it but for him any day that he is on the golf course is a good day so can't comment much on the quality of the courses, thought they were a bit pricey tho. All in all we enjoyed the trip - we did a day trip to Gibraltar and really liked the apes. Also a day trip to a hill town - Miraflores (I think). The furhter you go along the coast to the east the more (over)developed it is - also ALOT of Brits go there for vacation (not that there's anything wrong with that!) but you start to loose the Spanish flavor - all signs in english for bangers and mash.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM

There are at least 100 kms. of beach at Cadiz... but it is not Costa del Sol, although it's in Andalucia too.
Beaches are really good there, the same for urban beaches (like Cadiz, Rota or Sanlucar de Barrameda) than wilder unspoilt beaches.
By the way, almost every beach in Spain is sandy... in fact, for Spanish people "sand" is an fundamental element for "beach". We don't distinguish between "sandy" and "rocky" beaches, because there are hardly a few of the latter.
But if you sand, sand and sand, then the best place in Spain is Fuerteventura (Canary Islands) for sure.
Perhaps Costa del Sol's beaches are among the worst in our seaside, as far as I can tell
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

how will the weather in Canary Islands be in late April though?
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Canary Island have a well gained reputation of enjoying almost the same weather along the year. Fuerteventura and Lanzarote are the islands which are closest to Africa, so the weather tends to be even warmer. It would be really strange that there would be not god weather on April.
There are combined travels to Fuerteventura+Lanzarote... It could be interesting. Lanzarote is a more scenic island, with volcanic landscape and Fuerteventura is a perfect spot to enjoy endless sandy beaches.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:50 PM

If you're interested mostly in beaches, you might be better off in the Canary Islands. I love Costa del Sol for the white villages and places such as Ronda, Nerja, Malaga, Granada, and while there are some very nice beaches there--Zahara de los Atunes to name one, there is SO MUCH to see if you're intrested in art and culture. For beaches, well, there are better places probably.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

After all the input, I'm thinking we are better off in Canary Islands - looking at Lanzarote based on what kinds of flights i can find. What other things are there to do on the island if it's too cool for the beach? Is there sightseeing? Is it possible to do daytrips to other islands? Is there another island that has more to do in case of non-beach weather?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:39 AM

get a feel for the places in andalucia.. mentioned already: zahara de los atunes is a magnificent unspoilt beach.

www.andalucia.com

in the canaries.. be prepared also for volcanic black beaches.(lanzarote and part of tenerife, and perhaps others ..not sure).

there is a hotel on very deep long sandy beach in valencia called "el Sidi Saler". There are protected dunes there , too.

www.sidisaler.com

also, there is a golf course at modern parador further south on same beach. This golf course "El Saler" is one of the top golf courses in europe. The parador is "El Saler" which is also the name of the beach.

http://www.parador.es

you would have plenty to do on a bad beach day.

however, Spain is not so famous for its beaches. There is no comparison to the caribean white sand, some of the panhandle beaches,etc.

if you have a small boat, cruising around the islands of ibiza, mallorca or menorca is exquisite because you can find isolated coves, and access beaches hard to get to from land.

there are some nice beaches, attractive because of a lovely town set behind them.. ALTEA comes to mind as being very quaint and well cared for.(south of valencia 1 hour or so).

www.infocostablanca.com

happy planning
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Lanzarote has a really beautiful landscape, with a vulcano in the middle of the island. It is said to be a beautiful place to do sightseeing for a couple of days. From Lanzarote is easy to go to Fuerteventura, they are really close one to another.
You can fly from Lanzarorte also to both major islands, Tenerife and Gran Canaria (Las Palmas). Tenerife is a beutiful volcanic island with an active vulcano which is a must when you visit the island. Shopping is said to be cheaper than in mainland (they don't have VAT, I think).
For inter-island flights this is the more important company:
http://www.binternet.com/
There is another one, but I don't remember the name now.
If your are fond of hiking, then the better place would be La Palma (not "Las Palmas", which is a city in Gran Canaria), but it's the rainiest island and it has not very good beaches.
By the way, Fuerteventura beaches are not the volcanic type at all, but in Lanzarote you can expect black sand beaches.
You would have to be really unlucky for having bad weather on Canary Islands spring.
I hope it will help you.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:23 AM

We love Burriana beach, in Nerja, its fine golden sand, and its a nice beach for walking on.