Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

San Sebastian - Londres or Maria Cristina?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which hotel do you prefer: the Hotel Maria Cristina or Abba Londres y de Inglaterra in San Sebastian? We are going for our honeymoon in August. The prices are very similar and we want a nice hotel in a good location. Your opinions would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Kelly
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:18 PM
car

Both are nice and in a good location, same front at SS beach.
For same pice I will go for Maria Cristina, it is a classic.Quoted between the best ten hotels in Spain.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:44 PM

kdanderson,
While both are very nice,
I really prefer the fantastic location of the Abba de Londres y de Ingaterra more, especially for a honeymoon, and I'd urge you to request a bay view room. The de Londres directly faces the bay, with beautiful La Concha beach right at your doorstep, and it's very handy for La Perla Spa for a spa treatment or a romantic dinner (La Perla has spa/dinner packages, which my friends tried and loved).

The María Cristina faces the Urumea river on both sides, La Concha beach is 5 blocks away, and it's closer to the Old Quarter and to the surfers' beach of Zuriola.
In August there was construction going on next door, since they were gutting and remodeling the Victoria Eugenia theater-the tourist office had moved across the street. Don't know if they've finished that project or not, but cristina or cova could tell us.

We were at both hotels then scouting them out for guests on an upcoming gastronomic tour. My husband thought that the public rooms at the M.C. needed a new ventilation system, and they appeared to us rather dark and decorated in Old European style. It may appear to you as Old World grandeur, timeless elegance, or as a bit of a dowager, depending on your taste.
Still, the M.C. is where the stars stay when attending the S.S. International Film Festival.
And it's managed by Westin.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:02 AM

As other posters said both are very nice, but in August I would choose a bay view room in Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra. Althoug M? Cristina is 5* and a classic, Londres location is great!.
Victoria Eugenia Theater is still under construction and so will be for at least 6/10 months.

Cristina