san sebastian hotel

Search

san sebastian hotel

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
san sebastian hotel

we're going into san sebastian in june...where should we stay for proximity to the beach, nice view and nice sheets?
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM

In 2003 we stayed at the Abba Londres y de Inglaterra, on the beach in San Sebastian in late June. We had a beautiful view of the beach and the bay and a most comfortable room. In our three week stay in Spain, we found this hotel to have the best combination of comfort and beauty of any place we stayed other than the San Francisco Parador at the Alahambra (not as comfortable, but the history and beauty factors were pretty impressive). It was also the case that by booking on-line (through Expedia I think), we had a room rate of about 125 Euros, which seemed like a bargain for the room we had. Our only regret was not with the hotel, but with the fact that our travel took us through San Sebastian on a Sunday and Monday. San Sebastian has several of Spains's best restaurants, and they're all closed on Sunday and some on Monday as well. Enjoy your visit!
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM

There are a few nice hotels along the beach, or within a few minutes walk. It depends on your budget.

The 4-star Londres (http://www.hlondres.com/) is one of the nicest hotels sitting on the beach, but the 3-star Hotel Niza (http://www.hotelniza.com/) is just a short walk down the beach and is a little less expensive, as is the 3-star Hotel Europa (http://www.hotel-europa.com/), which sits across the street from the Niza.
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:45 AM
2d

Where is the best place to homebase in the Basque Region of Spain? Also, please recommend small hotels. Thanx!
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Euskal Herria, the Basque Country, is comprised of three major areas. We usually recommend dividing your time between the three provinces so that you can have more time to enjoy each one.

For Guipúzcoa I recommend basing yourself in the area around Hondarribia or further west around Zarautz. For Vizcaya it would be the coastal area between Bermeo and Getxo. In Alava you have two choices, the area around Amurrio, halfway between Bilbao and Vitoria-Gasteiz, or in the area around Laguardia in the Rioja Alavesa. But if you only wanted one central location to work from, then I would recommend the area from Zarautz to Lekeitio, which would put you within a three-hour drive of just about everything in the Basque Country.

There is a new hotel in Getaria that might work for you. The Saiaz Getaria Hotela, with 17 rooms, overlooks the ocean. The junior suite runs only 135 euros during high season, or you can book a double for as low as 73 euros during low season.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:32 PM

karenecox,
Just a third enthusiastic thumbs up for the Abba de Londres y de Inglaterra right on La Concha beach. We've sent lots of people there over the years who have thoroughly enjoyed their stay.
Perfect beach location, nice views.
There's absolutely nothing wrong at all with the very good-value Niza as well, but the Londres gives you a higher comfort level in your room.

2d,
As Robert says, since the Spanish Basque Country consists of 3 provinces, it's hard to find that "perfect" central location to see it all, both the full coast. the interior valleys and the wine region.

We usually base in Hondarribia (Gipuzkoa), right outside (to the east) of San Sebastian so that we can take in the French Basque Country, both the coastal resorts (Biarritz, St. Jean de Luz) and the beautiful, pastoral countryside villages (Sare, Ainhoa, Espelette, St. Jean Pied de Port) as well.
And from our base in Hondarribia, it's only a 20 min. drive to the center of San Sebastian and a bit over an hr. more to Bilbao.

But from Hondarribia it's not really feasible in a day trip to explore the heart of the Rioja wine country located in the Alava province. To explore this area, you should add 2-3 extra nights in a Rioja Alavesa village such as Abalos, Samaniego or our favorite, Laguardia.

In the past we've also divided our Spanish Basque Country stay:
first half in Hondarribia and second half in the Urdaibai Nature Reserve outside of Bilbao in the Bizkaia province. There are lovely country B&B's and small rural hotels over in Bizkaia as well. And this second base gives us the opportunity to explore the Durangesado valley to the south and our favorite little hamlet of Axpe.

Small hotels in Hondarribia, EAST of San Sebastian: the Obispo and Pampinot (I prefer the former to the latter).

Small hotels on the coast WEST of San Sebastian:
Guetaria (Gipuzkoa): Hotel Saiaz
Lequetio (Bizkaia): Hotel Zubieta

Small hotels in the Urdaibai:
Hotel Gametxo, Hotel Katxi, Castillo de Arteaga

Small hotels in the Rioja Alavesa:
Laguardia: Castillo del Collado,
Bodega de don Cosme Palacios and Posada de Miguel de Migueloa
Abalos (technically not in Alava but right on the border): Villa de Abalos

Hope this helps.

Old May 15th, 2006, 02:07 PM

2d,
typo: Posada Mayor de Migueloa
www.mayordemigueloa.com
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:32 AM
SDA

We are going to be in San Sebastian in June as well and decided to book at room at the Hotel Niza. We've never been before and we chose that hotel on a few factors: the price was in our range, proximity to beach, etc. The biggest factor though, quite honestly, was the good things people on this site said about it. We can't wait!
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:55 AM

I am thinking of booking this hotel for early October..would love to hear how you like it. The price seems reasonable...does your room have a sea view?
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:56 AM

We booked the Niza months ago for early July and they said all the sea view rooms were taken! I think they just don't want to guarantee the sea views and you have to be lucky or get there early. There's no price difference.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Thanks! I was surprised, after a quick look at the price page, that there was no distinction between sea view and non-sea-view. But the prices are much lower than the Londres. I think I will give them a try....
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:35 AM
SDA

We were told the same thing. I asked for a sea view room and even told them we're celebrating a special occasion (which is true) but they said they can't guarentee anything. A bit annoying but we're not too bent out of shape about it. Hasn't dampened our excitement.
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:37 AM
SDA

ekscrunchy: forgot to say also that I'll write a report of hotel Niza and our experience there once we get back. I'll post it to this forum at the end of June.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear SDA:

We will be staying at the Niza June 14 & 15, then Pamplona the 16-18. If we cross paths, perhaps we can do a mini-Fodorite GTG? Let me know.

MY
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Thanks, SDA. I am just beginning to plan a few days there for early October. Keep us posted after your trip!
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:34 AM
SDA

Hi MY,

We're going to just miss each other. We'll be in San Sebastian from June 8 - 11. That's too bad. Would have been fun to eat some tapas, have a drink with a fellow-Fodorite. Next time!
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear SDA:

Too bad!!! We fly in to BCN on the 8th, then spend 8-11 in Cadeques. 11 & 12 we will be in Lleida visiting cousins and celebrating my big 50th!! So if you're passing thru, stop by for cake and cocktails!!

MY
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:37 AM
SDA

What a great way to celebrate your b-day! Enjoy!
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:33 AM

A note on Hotel Londres. The beach side of the hotel is at the moment completely covered with scaffolding to work on the bvuilding. Best to inquire status before booking that öcean view¨.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:57 AM
jcr

We would like to go to San Sebastian (or area) this summer and are looking for a villa (preferably with a pool) for six people. It must be withing walking distance of a town/villag centre so two teenage boys can go off and do their own thing some of the time. I've come up with absolutely nothing that fits this description so far - any ideas would be gratefully considered.