san sebastian

Old May 6th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
san sebastian

This is our first trip to Spain and want to stay in San Sebastian at some budget accomodations and wanted to know if anyone had stayed at Anne Hostal or have any suggestions of where to stay. The availability is limited because we want to go to Pamplona for the running of the bulls. Also does anyone have ideas of where to watch the running of the bulls. Thanks for all suggestions!
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:02 PM

My first choice of where to watch the running of the bulls would be anywhere but in front of them!
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:14 PM

canuckbc,
we stayed in san sebastian last year before i ran with the bulls in pamplona. we stayed at hotel niza which was wonderful. it's right next to the beach. the rate was reasonable and much cheaper than pamplona hotels. we also ran into some kids who ran with the bulls everyday and commuted to and fro from san sebastian. it's only an hour bus ride. another tip, you can see the whole town of san sebastian by riding on the city bus. the buses usually do a loop and comes back to the same place where you boarded. take the one that goes up the hill around the scenic bay of biscay. i don't remember the bus number but you can see check out the routes at the bus stop. good luck.
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:38 AM

I plan to be in San Sebastian (with family of 4) in early June and the Niza is booked up. Does anyone have any suggestions of any other family and wallet friendly hotels in San Sebastian.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:17 AM

Canuck,
Have a look on this web:
http://www.sansebastianturismo.com/ingles/indexi.htm. in hostelry and boarding house, maybe 1-2 hotels fit your budget, too. My recommedation is to stay in the Center or Old Town (Parte Vieja)

Greg,
Next to Niza you have a few options like Tryp Orly 4*, Europa 3*, Zaragoza Plaza * or Pension Alemana and Pension Bahya. (find info in www.sansebastianturismo....)

I live in San Sebastian, so let me know if I can help you!
Cristina

Old May 7th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Cristina,

Thank you for your reply. I will try that web site.

Thanks again.
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:28 PM

Canuckbc,

We are going to Pamplona for the running and have rented seats on a balcony thru Erreka Tourism:

http://www.erreka.net/

In San Sebastian we are staying at the Hostal Alemana for 80E per night. Haven't been before but it looks fine for the money!

http://www.hostalalemana.com/

Ole!
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:38 PM

Cristina,

Do you have any thoughts on the Hostal Alemana? Is it in a good location for a family to walk around and see the sights? Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:44 PM

A friend of mine stayed there a few years and told me it was fine. The location is perfect, just in front of Hotel Niza, that is, next to La Concha beach. You can walk every main attraction from the Hostal and if you need it, there are some bus stops in the same street (C/San Martín).

Hope this helps!
Cristina
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Cristina,

Thank you for all of your help. It appears as though the Alemana is the way to go. We're looking forward to seeing San Sebastian!

Greg
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:25 PM

cristina, I'd love your recommendations for restaurants, bars and cafes in San Sebastian. My fiance and I will be there for 4 nights this July. Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you fate_golfman, Cristina and Wendy for all your suggestions. I am trying to get a room at the Hotel Alemana. Maybe we will see you there!
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:50 AM

Wendy,

There are many good bars and restaurants next to Pension Alemana. For good pintxos/tapas go to Bar Haritza in Calle Triunfo and to the Cafeteria of Hotel Europa just around the corner. A very good restaurant but not cheap is Lanziego in the same street. Over the beach, in July there will be three terraces: Cafe de la Concha (with cheap menus for lunch), Restaurante La Perla ("a la Carta" and more expensive, but really good!)and "terraza joven la perla", which serves pizza, burguers, salads...Those terraces have the best views of the Bay. Just around the corner from Pension Alemana is Molly Malone Irish pub, with menus for lunch and "carta" at evenings, very popular among young people for casual dinners, and as a pub at nights.
Futher in Old Town (Parte Vieja) you will find lots of Pintxos Bars itys not. Here are my favourites: In 31 de Agosto street Bar Izazpi, Bar Martinez and Bar la Cepa and on a side lane La Cuchara de San Telmo (in my opininon one of the best with more "sophisticated" pintxos.). In Plaza de la Constituciyn Bar Astelehena. Restaurants in Old Town: Politena (not expensive) in C/san Jeronimo, Casa Urola in Fermin Calbeton (this street is filled with bars and restaurants), Restaurante Aita Mari with beautiful views over the Port, Restaurante Astelehena in C/euskal Herria. All of them serve classic Basque typical food with some new dishes. Out of Old Town, on the other side of the Urumea River, both Cafeteria and Restaurant of Kursaal are good options, too.

Those are just a few of the many, many restaurants, bars etc...if you want more info email me directly to [email protected]. Try to open this site, it would be very helpful with streets in Old Town.

http://callejero.lanetro.com/apps/la...E1n&distancia=
Old May 9th, 2003, 02:32 PM

Fantastic information Cristina! Thank you!
Old May 9th, 2003, 02:52 PM

Kaixo crisina,
We're headed to Donostia directly after los sanfermines and will take your wonderful list along! We too love the Bar Astelana, La Cepa and La cuchara de San Telmo, the Hotel Europa and will be sure to check out the others to add to our Basque file!
Eskerrik asko!

A question:
We're often asked about inexpensive hostales in Donostia and always recommend the Hostal Alemana, where we've stayed. But I've seen the
www.pensionesconencanto.com site and have read in travel mags about the Pension
Aida, in Nuevo Gros. Do you know it, and if so, can you recommend it as an alternative to the Alemana, since it's close to the train station for excursions, playa Zurriola and still walkable to downtown?
Agur,
Maribel
Old May 12th, 2003, 12:33 AM

Egunon Maribel!,

I have not heard any opinion about Pension Aida but as you say it is well located just a few steps away from Avenida de La Libertad, close to Train Station and within walking distance to both La Zurriola and La Concha Beach.

Espero que disfrutes de los San Fermines y de San Sebastian.

Agur,
Cristina