Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

San Quirico d'Orcia experts - how is the location of this condo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo I'm considering for our stay in Tuscany. The owner will rent less than a week and the price is right.....even though I usually prefer an older, more charming accommodation. According to the map it's on the very edge of town so I'm assuming it would be convenient for getting in and out for day trips. On the flip side of course, you have to walk into the center of town.

If anyone can give feedback on the location I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

http://www.vrbo.com/144563
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM

That place looks nice and appeares to be no more than a 5 minute walk into town. I love San Quirico--may favorite centro location in Tuscany. Someone once called it " the River City Iowa of Tuscany", which is quite true. Say hi to the old farts at Bar Centrale for me.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 06:40 PM

So glad you asked about this. I am considering the same condo. It does look nice and the owner has been very responsive with emails. The other option I am looking at is Il Poggilio (sp?) - which will also rent for less than a week at the time I am going (early Nov.). One rustic, one new. Decisions, decisions.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 06:57 PM

I agree with Bob, the Navigator, it may be an UPHILL walk in to town, but still not far. We stayed for three weeks at a house called Riguardino, on the strade communale de Riguardo, which is further out, and we did have to drive in to town. If you google your location you can see the relative difference from the place you are considering, out to the end of the Strade of which I speak. We had unbelievable views west to Montalcino across the valley, but we were facing away from the main val d'Orcia. didn't matter though, we loved the town, and it has only gotten better (more rentals, more restaurants) without getting too touristy.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Nancy - If you stay here please report back and let me know about the place - you'll be there before me. We are driving to Tuscany from the Amalfi Coast and I had wanted to stop off at Tivoli. The owner here said they leave the keys in the lock box so it doesn't mattter what time you get there. This is a big plus for me...not having to worry about meeting an agent for the keys. If it matters to you he also told me there are laundry facilities available.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks
Travelfan - I will report. We are also driving from AC, and was going to go through Orvieto, or Assissi maybe. So you are right - that is a plus.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM

I traveled to San Quirico in 2007 and came across a charming building across from the church in the town piazza. I took the business card from the apartment and just found it the other day - we are considering also staying in the town, so here is the web-site of this place. However the VRBO that you found looks equally appealing and possible cheaper....... try this:
www.casalemmi.com
e-mail - [email protected]
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Pattrink - Thank you. I looked at the website and that's the charm I love! Out of curiosity I emailed for availability and prices.