Reload this Page >

San Gimignano / Siena

Search

San Gimignano / Siena

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Kim

San Gimignano / Siena

Hello everyone!<BR><BR>I have heard many people on this forum recommend San Gimignano and Siena. I plan on taking day trips there in June from Florence. What are some things we should do there?

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Vita

For Siena, see the Duomo and Il Campo (the main piazza). Climb the tower (Torre del Mangia) for the view. <BR><BR>In San Gimignano, climb the Torre Grossa and catch the view of the countryside. San Gimignano is a hilltown and a great place to catch the sunrise/sunset over the valley.<BR><BR>Otherwise, both are great towns for walking around and dining.

Old May 15th, 2002, 08:04 AM
sandi

You should do a serch on this forum for older threads on great walking tours of Siena and other sites to see. There are many hilltop towns that are in day-trip distances from San G., so I'd check those out too if you have time. San G. is pretty small but very beautiful. It is also insanely crowded during the day. Early morning and late evening are the best times to enjoy it.

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Chuck

I too will be is Florence this summer for a couple of days and wonder if I should stay in Florence or take a couple of day trips to Siena and San Gimignano. What do you recommend folks?

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Henry Schulte

Siena, what’s there to do? Piazza del campo, one of the most beautiful and famous piazza in Italy, the seashell shaped piazza where the Palio is run. On the lower end of the campo is the town hall and tower. The Palazzo Pubblico contains many works of Sienese art; one of the more famous frescoes by Ambrogio Lorenzetti shows the effects of good and bad government. The Torre di Mangia provides a breath-taking view of the city (don’t try this if you have a weak heart or are claustrophobic).The Duomo (design most influenced by Giovanni Pisano) was built to impress and it does. Inside are an astonishing number of busts, statues, frescoes, and painting. The octagonal marble pulpit by Nicola Pisano is amazing as are the works by Donatello, Bernini, and Michelangelo. The Libreria Piccolomini contains many illuminated books and brilliant frescoes. The floor is covered by art but unfortunately this is covered by cardboard except during floorshows (bring on the nuns – sorry). Outside the Duomo you can see the Archbishop’s palace, Spedale di Santa Marie delle Scale (1000 year old hospital contains frescoes that are huge), Museo dell’Opera del Duomo. There are palaces (palace of the Piccolomini, Logge del Papa, Loggia della Mercanzia, Palazzo Chigi-Saracini); churches (San Domenico-with the head of Saint Catherine, Basillica di San Francesco, Sant’Agostino) and enotece (the Enoteca Italia in the fortezza has more wines to try then you have time).<BR><BR>But with all there is to do don’t miss just stolling through a real town that looks like it hasn’t changed in hundreds of years.<BR>

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Julie

In Siena take a walk to the town gate and see the Branda fountain (which gate it was, I can't remember but Siena is small, so even if you seek out all of the gates it wouldn't be terribly strenuous!)<BR>Wander aimlessly and you'll come across amazing sights.

Old May 15th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Holly

The Museo Storico della Tortura is an ... interesting ... way to spend an hour in San Gimignano, if you're interested in that sort of thing. Definitely not your run 'o the mill tourist attraction.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 10:01 AM
ttt

To The Top

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 04:41 PM
Daniel

Message: You get the best view of the countryside around San Gimignano from punto panoramico (follow signs) behind Hotel La Cisterna. It´s best early in the morning with fog in the valley. It is even better to look at the town and the towers from the countryside. Take the little road to Fattoria Pietrafitta.