Sampler Backpacking Itinerary Advice

Apr 9th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Sampler Backpacking Itinerary Advice

I will be leaving in May to backpack Europe for my first time. I have set up a sample itinerary but would like some advice and recommendations from veterans on how feasible this itinerary is and any recommendations for first time solo backpacking in Europe. This is my first trip so like all first-timers I am trying to visit major cities on the first go-around which may or may not be a mistake.

I am leaving in early May and have allotted 45 days to accomplish this itinerary:

*Flying into Dublin from Phoenix, Arizona*

Ireland - 3 Days
- Dublin

United Kingdom - 7-8 Days
- London (4 days)
- Salisbury (1 day)
- Bath (1 day)
- Cambridge (1 day)

France - 7 Days
- Paris (5 days)
- Versailles (1 day)
- Bayeux/Normandy (1 day)

Germany - 13 Days
- Berlin (4 days)
- Munich (4 days)
- Hamburg (2 days)
- Dresden (1 day)
- Heidelberg (2 days)

Czech - 4 Days
- Prague (4 days)

Benelux - 7
- Amsterdam (4 days)
- Brussel (3 days)

*Flying out of Brussels*

I have already paid for the plane tickets and Eurail pass; However, I am budgeting $3,600 for hostels, food, and entertainment. Is this enough money for 45 days living the backpacking lifestyle? Also, do you have any advice on cities to add or exchange, or any tips on any of the above city from a backpacking perspective. I am 20 years old, love history, nightlife, outdoors; I appreciate art but wouldn't go specifically seeking art museums or the likes except for the Louvre.
Apr 10th, 2013, 11:33 AM

Have a good time in Dublin, come back sometime and see Ireland
Apr 15th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Anyone have any advice or comments on the feasibility of this itinerary that they could give me?
Apr 16th, 2013, 10:59 AM

The itinerary looks feasible- you might need 2 days for Bayeux/Normandy. The only thing about the trip that looks shaky is $3500 for 45 days (less than 58E/day). Also, don't take much cash- put the money in a bank that will give you a debit card so you can pull it out of ATMs as you go. Shop around for a debit card with low transaction fees and no extra charge for withdrawals. If possible, put extra money in your account in case you have an emergency.

Good luck and have a great time!
Apr 16th, 2013, 06:22 PM

I don;t think you have buillt in the time to get from one place to another. Those day have to come out of either the time in the city you are departing or the city you are arriving in. Depending on the plans it will be from 1/2 to 1 day each time - so you actually have 7 to 11 days less touring time than you think.

You need to list each date and indicate where you will be, including if you are traveling to another city.

You can't list any city for 3 things in the same day (being in Dublin, getting to London, being in London). When you look at it this way you may want to reallocate days.