Salzburg-Venice

Jan 29th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Salzburg-Venice

Hi,
My husband and I will be in Paris for work in May and afterwards have six days off . we want to visit Salzburg and Venice. Are two days in each place enough? How long does it take to get to Venice from Salzburg and what is the best way to travel? would it be better to stick to one place and see surrounding attractions?
would welcome some ideas.
tks in advance
Jan 30th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Unless you fly, Paris is a long trips from Salzburg. By train it is at best 10 hours plus with a 6:40 departure from Gare de l'Est.

Salzburg to Venice is another 6 hours with an early departure.

Venice back to Paris is a long journey, too. It is about 10 hours with a choice of a very early departure or a late arrival.

If you drive, you might make the trip a little more quickly, but route finding could be a challenge depending on how good you are with maps.

Perhaps someone will have a good suggestion for a cheap air fare. I am not up on the newer no-frills airlines in Europe. (Just EasyJet.)
Jan 30th, 2006, 11:05 AM

You can check out www.whichbudget.com for discount airlines in Europe.
Jan 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM

You asked "How long does it take to get to Venice from Salzburg and what is the best way to travel? " - I see two trains to Venezia-Santa Lucia station that only take 6:22 hours and 7:28 hours, all others take a good 8 hours or more.

The two are the 07:04 departure, arr. 13:26 (one change of trains), and the 15:04 departure, arr 22:32, takes 7:28 hours (also one change of trains).

There's also the Euronight train, dep 01:38, arr 08:45, takes 7:07 hours, direct - no change of trains required. Sit up in 2nd class (make an appt with your chiro...), or take couchettes (bunks) or sleeper - reservations mandatory.

http://plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/quer...ld=IA&L=profi&

MQ
Jan 30th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. we were thinking of flying to salzburg but never realised that the return venice journey would be so long We are good with maps and usually drive anywhere we travel. How long would the drive take and expense-wise how does it compare to train/budget flights ? WallyKringen, Thanks for the train timings they look good.