Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mozart Madness - Venice to Salzburg and back in one day. Any good advice?

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's me again, this forum is really addictive.

I'm serious about taking a train from Venice to Salzburg and back on the same day. All I want to do in Salzburg is check out the Mozarteum and associated Mozart tourists sights, and have a German sausage sandwich for lunch. I Don't expect to be there more than 2-3 hours. I'm quite happy to spend most of the day on a train to visit Mozart (he's the love of my life). Question is, which train do I take? I've been overwhelmed by the information about this train route, and am more confused than ever.

Has anyone done this before? Any advice on the most direct service. Please don't try and talk me out of it. There's no way in the world I'm going to travel all the way from Australia, and come home without visiting Wolfy after being oh so very close to him.

Thanks in advance,
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Well, it will have to be a late lunch... The earliest possibility seems to be a EuroCity departing Venice Santa Lucia at 6:47 a.m., arriving Salzburg 12:55, with a transfer in Villach.

But there is nothing, literally nothing, leaving Salzburg for Venice at around 4:00 p.m. The earliest is at 9:20 p.m. At that point, you might as well wait for the night train at 1:38 a.m. that seems to require no transfer and arrives Venice Santa Lucia at 8:46.

You can check it out at

www.bahn.de

Click on "Internat. Guest."
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Well - I don't know the details of your trip - exact dates, if you'll have a rail pass etc. - but there are tons of trains between the two cities every day. They take 3 hours each way - give or take a few minutes.

Check out the web site bahn.de and click on "English" on the upper left and you can make all your choices to pick exact trains and get fare info.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Sorry - I read Venice as Vienna - couldn;t imagine the other is even possible in one day.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:16 AM

I have done a similar trip, but not recently. According to the Austrian Rail Website, the quickest train connection from Venice to Salzburg leaves Venice at 6:47 and arrives at 12:55.

Incidentally, the new Austrian rail site is quite spiffy, and it does have English captions. They are hard to find, but they are there. For Austrian schedules, it is the best source, although the DB site for Germany is also excellent.

http://www.oebb.at/vip8/pv/de/Intern...ests/index.jsp

Returning, your most logical option is to leave at 15:04 and return to Venice at 22:29. Otherwise you have an overnight trip that leaves Salzburg at 21:20 and arrives at 5:11.

I saw no connections that were direct; all required a change somewhere.
Villach is the most logical change point. Also, those trains take so long because they stop so much. There is no TGV like service on those routes.

If you want to see it all that bad, it seems to me that you would allow more time and enjoy it more.

You will be spending 13 plus hours on the train for perhaps 3 hours of sighseeing in a town that could easily occupy 2 days.

I own as many Mozart CDs as the average Mozart fan, but I really think that the Mozart exhibits are a little over rated, and that the sights of the town are quite pleasant.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Correction: There is an EC leaving at 3:04 p.m. -- giving you exactly 2 hours and 9 minutes in Salzburg -- with a connection in Villach to another EC, arriving Venice Santa Lucia at 10:29 p.m.

13 hours and 33 minutes on trains for 2 hours and 9 minutes in Salzburg???
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:41 AM

I am not even a mozart fan and we spent quite some time in the museum and shopping for mozart ball! this does not even take into account time to and from train station and your lunch. (hope you atleast take the night train!)

good luck!
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 09:47 AM

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable. Table 88 shows the day trains that people have mentioned, that leave Venice at 0647 and 1447, and reach Salzburg, with a change in Villach, at 1255 and 2048: all four trains have restaurant cars. Southbound trains leave at 0704 and 1504 and reach Venice with a change at Villach at 1326 and 2229. So I suggest you save two Venice hotel nights and travel thus. Leave Venice in a sleeper at 2044, Linz 0710 to 0729, breakfast in the buffet car, Salzburg 0848, bus to the city centre, Salzburg leave 2010, Linz 2131 to 2233, Venice 0846. On the northbound journey you should tell you conductor that you want no breakfast or coffee, but want to be wakened half an hour before Linz, to get all the sleep you can. In Salzburg you should buy a few slices of cheese or cold sausage, to go with the light breakfast that the conductor serves you in Italy about 0700. You can leave a bag of pyjamas and toilet things at the left luggage office in Venice.

For your limited visit you might go from Venice at 2044 to Salzburg at 0848, and from Salzburg at 1504 with a change at Villach 1747 to 1936 and dinner on the train to Venice at 2229.

There is a note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes at http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/...ghttrains.htm/.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 10:35 AM

timetofly,

In another post you mentioned that you will be in Italy for a total of 21 days. You'll be coming from Bern, correct? Why not go directly to Salzburg from Bern, spend a night or two, then go on to Venice? It really is a shame to go all that way for only a couple of hours in such a fantastic city. I'm actually kind of surprised that as a music history student, Salzburg (and Vienna) aren't tops on your list.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all of you generous people who actually researched the train schedules on my behalf. Wow, I had no idea the train trip would take that long - thought it was around 3 and a half to 4 hours each way, which would have been managable. But 13 hours all up! No way.

I can't stay overnight, and I can't go direct from Berne to Salzburg on the way to Venice because all our accommodation has been booked already. And my travelling companion doesn't really want to see Salzburg, so I can't really ask her to change our itinerary for just 2 hours in Salzburg.

Looks like I'll just have to wait until my next trip to Europe, which will hopefully be from London in 2008 when I'm over there teaching.

To Jocelyn,

I agree with you about Vienna, but this trip is not just for me. My travelling companion initiated the trip because of her love for Italy, and I'm just "going along" with her. She has learned from her last trip to Europe that trying to fit multiple countries into a short time is not a good idea, hence our 21 days in only 3 cities. The operative word is "holiday", not a frenetic race to beat the clock.

Thanks again for all your wonderful help.

Timetofly.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 04:47 AM

Why not just drive?

If you can have your car to pick up at Piazzale Roma, it should be around 4 hours each way on Italy's A4/A23 towards Udine and Villach, then Austria's A2/A10. It's about 250 miles, almost entirely motorway.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:04 AM

I think our UK correspondent has the solution. As I pointed dout earlier, those trains are slow because of frequent stops.

If more than one of you makes the trip, the cost of the car would be close to the breakeven point compared with two roundtrip tickets on the train. -- Unless of course you have a prepaid pass.

The route from Venice would take you up
through Udine to Villars to Salzburg and already described.
Most of the way you have autobahn conditions where people tend to fly along at 80 mph in the slow lane.
There are some longish tunnels on that route for which you pay a toll, but the road should get you there in a hurry.

I have not driven it all the way to Udine, but as far as Villars, it is a good road except for backups at the tunnels.

I don't recommend that you go roaring into Salzburg without a map. You probably will want to find a place to park your car near the old town and walk across one of several bridges.

The Festung on the hill is always a good landmark; one that is visible night and day from any number of locations.

If you drive, be sure you have a vignette for the car, and I was told in Interlaken three weeks ago that if I planned on driving to Austria, I needed a green safety jacket.

I am not sure who enforces the rule, but if you turn up without the highway vignette on your windscreen, there is a good chance a cop will spot the absence.
Then he askes for your lime green party suit, and when you don't have one, he ups the ante.

Also, I was told in no uncertain terms by the Austrian equivalent of the Department of Motor Vehicles that Auslanders (like me) need an international driver's license to operate in Austria. I do not know how stringently that rule is enforced. I had one, but never had to show it.
I rented twice in Austria and have yet to be asked to produce the document.
As far as I am concerned it is a quick $10 profit for someone because they are only valid for 1 year. Talk about a legal heist!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:49 AM

pls volunteers.
need to know about the night conexion between venice italy and salzburg austria.
it seems to be a long ride and dont want to spend a day travelling
Do you agree with this.?
Does anybody know how about these tickets and the cost.
intended days first in February06
The more i tried to research on my own the more confuse i am. Tks a lot to the people who can guide me.

Argentina
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:41 AM

Timetofly - I'm sorry you have such a dilemna. I completely understand your attempts to fit Salzburg into your itinerary. Contrary to what you're saying - Mozart is the love of MY life! (just playing - I was a piano performance major in college so treks to Salzburg were musts for me) The birthplace and museum there are fascinating. I feel fortunate to have been there and hope,even though it doesn't sound like it will work out for you on this trip, you'll return someday.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:11 AM

If you're really keen, do this:

Ven. S.L. dp 00:37, Ven. Mestre ar 00:48
Ven. Mestre Euronight Sleeper dp 01:22, ar Villach Hbf 04:15
Villach Hbf InterCity dp 06:11, Salzburg Hbf ar 08:55

Then you can also go up on the Burg, eat your German sausage (more likely an Austrian sausage, but who is quibbling), and take any one of these trains back:

12:31 (ar 20:43, 2 transfers)
12:36 (ar 20:43, 3 transfers)
13:04 (ar 22.04, 2 transfers)
or the really fast 15:04 (ar 22.29, 1 transfer).

You can sleep when you're old, and suffer for your art! Wolfi is worth it, isn't he?

WK
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 12:28 PM

Another possibility for a day trip would be a bus trip. We once took a one day bus tour from Berchtesgaden to Venice. It was a long day, but we had fun and we got a chance to spend time in Venice.
Also, the sightseeing throughout the Alps is great..
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Since you are a Mozart fan you probably know this but 2006 will be his 250th birthday and I suspect that Salzburg which is normally Mozart central will go absolutely batty with concerts and special events.

Spend a little time on the internet and see what you can find beyond his Gobortz Haus, Museum, Square and candy with his picture.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 05:54 PM

To Milla in Argentina

For train schedules throughout Europe refer to this site, which is available in German, English, French, and Italian.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de

You can get approximate fares between cities at http://www.railsaver.com. You should click on "Only if a railpass saves me money."

From Venice to Salzburg there is presently a direct overnight train that leaves Venice at 20:44 and arrives in Salzburg at 6:00. This may change by February, so check again closer to your date of travel.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Hi timetofly,

I can imagine and feel your dilemma BUT if Mozart is LIFE to you, don't miss it !!
There are things in life if you don't do it, you may regret. If I will you, rather take the 13 hrs trouble than to "suffer" the wait of 3 years.
Depends if you enjoy train ride, maybe the journey is scenic and not boring ??
Can someone tell ?
"At least your trip is confirmed, mine is still planning....."
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Now all you guys are really making me feel I can do it. I just might take that overnight train yet. I'll think about it, but in the meantime please keep responding with your opinions.

Thanks for taking the trouble.

Timetofly