SallyK -- How was the Darwin Exhibit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi SallyK -- Hope this isn't too presumptious (I know you're on vacation), but ...

I noticed that you posted that you had recently gone to see the Darwin Exhibit. I had asked for reviews a few weeks ago, but nobody responded.

How'd you like it? Was it crowded? I'm planning on taking my kids there later this month, but would appreciate some feedback on what to expect and whether you thought it was worth 9 pounds. (I do think that I can get a bit of a discout with either 2 for 1 or a family ticket).

Enjoy your trip and I am expecting a report when you return!

LauraG
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Hi Laura -- The Darwin exhibit was very crowded despite the timed tickets. When we first entered, we stood in the first area for quite a while because people took a bit to get started. But we were there on a Saturday and and the crowd did thin out as we continued around.

I don't know about family tickets. We did a 2 for 1. We spent about an hour and a half.

We thought it was very good and very well presented, but whether you learn anything depends on what you know about Darwin when you go in. John and I learned very little because we have studied Darwin. But it was still good. And, that said, we think someone who does not know much about Darwin or evolution would find it excellent.

It very clearly lays out what Darwin discovered on his voyage on the Beagle, how he thought about his discoveries, and how he reached his conclusions over the years. It also discusses the controversies that arose when he finally made his theory public.

That reminds me that there is also an excellent section on what a scientific theory is and how it differs from the everyday terminology of "theory" meaning a guess.

We thought the discussion of how he reached his conclusions was presented very clearly and in a very logical way. If you don't know much about Darwin or evolution, it is very illuminating. And it doesn't get bogged down in minutia, but presents things in a very interesting way. Or so we thought.

John particularly liked the exhibits of the creatures Darwin had collected, laid out and tagged.

The exhibit is not aimed at kids and if they are very young, they probably won't get much from it.

If there's something I missed that you'd like to know about, please let me know. I'll be glad to answer.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this the same Darwin exhibit that was in New York at the Museum of Natural History a couple years ago? That was terrific.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 11:27 AM

"Is this the same Darwin exhibit that was in New York "

In essence, yes. It's a co-production with the ROM in Toronto and several US museums, and it's been trundling round North America for about three years.

However, since the Natural History Museum is a sort of Darwinian invention, and evolution is probably the most important idea ever to be conceived in Britan (unless Constantine thought of making Christianity mandatory as he was sprinting down the M1 after his troops had acclaimed him emperor), the NHM itself has been sort of given over to Darwinophilia. So the whole experience is probably different.

Incidentally, if the crowds worry Lauratg (and few London blockbuster exhibitions are pleasurable), British TV is practically a Darwin fanzine right now, so a bit of dilligent channel-swapping should prove almost as educational.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I didn't realize that there were timed tickets. I wonder if there will be a problem getting tickets on a Saturday afternoon? After I log off here I'll check the website.

Flanneruk - I'm not particularly put off by crowds. I live in Orlando and hae been immunized by Disney. but it is nice to be forwarned. Incidentally, I think you're writing is very funny.

Lauratg
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

In case anybody was wondering, the tickets are available for purchase online. Doesn't appear that we can get the discounts though. I think I'll book ahead anyway just so I don't worry too much -- late in the day to minimize crowds.

Lauratg
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:25 AM

Laura -- We arrived at the NHM about 11:00 on Saturday and were able to get tickets for 3:30. At that point that was the earliest time we could get and there were only a few tickets left for that time. Soon after, they all were sold out for Saturday. If late in the day minimized crowds, we sure couldn't tell it! ;-)

Not having seen the crowd earlier, I don't know if later was better or not. I'm thinking that right when it opens might be the least crowded. Seems like it fills up more and more as the day goes by. Things were packed when we left the exhibit area about 5:15.

Sally
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sally -- Its good to know that the tickets are scarce-- there are six of us, so ordering ahead of time is probably our best bet to avoid disappointment.

I've scheduled this for either our first Saturday or our last Sunday in London so I think I'm doomed to crowds -- particularly since the exhibit is closing a few days after we leave.

(I'm one of those people who list what we plan to do every day -- a necessity when traveling in a group!)

Thanks again for the help -- you've definitely helped us avoid disappointment!

Laura
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 05:49 AM

If Darwin was right how do you explain Arsenal fans?
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 06:09 AM

<i>"If Darwin was right how do you explain Arsenal fans?"</i>

Mutation?
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 06:17 AM

Yes, definitely book ahead. We just walked into the museum the Friday before last just after lunch and were told, at the main ticket desk, that we could get tickets only for 4:50 that afternoon. We went to the other exhibits and ended up at the entrance to the Darwin exhibit. It was only about 3, but my husband thought to ask about getting in. There was no problem.

That said, it was quite crowded, and--my pet peeve from this trip--people didn't seem to move through the exhibit, instead clumping around and forming obstacles.

The exhibit was very, very interesting and well presented. My husband knows a fair amount about Darwin and I didn't, and we both got a great deal out of it. You can easily spend an hour--I'm truly not sure how long we were there.

We'd never been to the Natural History Museum before--having a good one in Boston and having been to the one in NYC, I always felt that I didn't need to see dinosaurs in London. But I have to say that the dino exhibit is one of the best I've ever seen: great fun. We also went to part of the earth exhibit and enjoyed it.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 09:30 AM

penell523 summarises perfectly the difference between crowds in a theme park and those at a major London museum or art gallery blockbuster.

Of course people clump at art gallery exhibitions. That's what art galleries and museums are for: to stand and stare at things, and when you've finished standing and staring at Object 1, to stand and think or argue about it. London blockbusters ALWAYS - even with timed tickets - let more people in can than can comfortably stand, stare and discuss in the time provided. In my experience, London's always worse than Paris, New York or Rome for this - though I've yet to work out whether that's because we stare and argue more, whether our museums are short of blockbuster space, or whether museums' PR machines are just more attuned here to creating lots of crowd-pulling spin.

Whatever it is, it's always difficult to see what you want to see comfortably.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 11:57 AM

penel523 is right about people clumping and also mentions one of the things I think makes the area so crowded -- letting people in other than their time. We got in earlier than our ticket said too. Wondered at the time if that didn't negate the point of timed tickets to keep the crowds constant and reasonable.

Laura -- there is also an exhibit upstairs that goes very well with the Darwin exhibit. It's about primates and the similarities between different types and comparisons with humans. It would make a nice companion piece as it were.

BTW, the dino exhibit was so popular on a Saturday that we never made it in there. The line was way long.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everybody -- I had no idea it would be dicey to get tickets on a Saturday. I went ahead and bought online although that meant I couldn't do the 2-for-1 discount.

Sally - we'll be sure to check out the primate exhibit too. Penel - I hadn't planned on looking at the dinosaurs since we've visited so many dinosaur exhibits in the last couple of years. Sounds as if we'll have to swing by for a bit though.

You know Flanner, I hadn't thought about the clumping issue (fancying myself somewhat of a crowd expert because of the Disney thing), but I am happy to be forewarned!

Thanks again -

Laura