Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Salisbury, Wells, or Exeter for 3-hour break?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2011, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are driving from Berkhamsted to Cornwall in a few weeks and we'd like to stop for a few hours somewhere interesting along the way. Several people have recommended visiting Wells Cathedral, but Salisbury and Stone Henge are on the way (I've been there but my husband hasn't), and Exeter sounds interesting too. What would you recommend?
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 05:56 AM

I personally really enjoyed Exeter. There's a part of the community that's almost "beachy", small B&B's that are on streets near the water, reminiscent of cottages. And then there's the university community with gorgeous grounds, too. Very walkable place, IMO, and seems to have something for everyone.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 06:03 AM

Will you be travelling during the last two weeks of April - if so those are 2 four day weekends in the UK (Cant tell where you are from) and so expect alot of traffic. It took us a full 8 hours to get from Heathrow to Padstow last August (most of the time was sitting in traffic east of Salisbury) so you may want to factor that in.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 06:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The quickest route would be the M4 to the M5 and SW from there. So if you want the easiest/fastest drive Exeter would be best.

But if you don't mind going 'cross country' and taking more time on smaller roads - then either Salisbury or Wells would be good.

All three towns are worth a stop. Whichever city/route you choose -- it will take you between 4 and 5 hours from Berkhamsted to Exeter plus your time IN Salisbury or Wells or Exeter. So you are looking at at least 6-7 hours just to South Devon. Depends on how long a day you want.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 06:17 AM

Oh - and jamikins is right. If it is over the holidays -- ALL bets are off -- it could take you HOURS to get anywhere.

You might even consider taking the train and hiring a car after you get to Cornwall.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 06:40 AM

The cross-country bit of getting from Berkhamstead to Salisbury and on to the M5 is going to be a great deal longer (even out of the holiday period) than you expect, and the road from Salisbury via Blandford Forum and Dorchester's even worse.

You really are going to struggle to do it, give either Salisbury or Stonehenge (never mind both) enough time and get on to Cornwall all in a day.

I'd get the A41 to the M25, turn off at the M4, not turn off the motorways, at scarcely stop at all till I got to Exeter. Don't even think of fancy cross-country routes.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 07:46 AM

Take the train PADDINGTON to PENZANCE VIA EXETER (a swift and easy journey)
You could explore Exeter and then pick up a hire car for the rest of the journey.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I certainly tapped into the right group!

Do I get a reprieve for traveling early on Easter Monday? It's my hope that much of the traffic on that day will be leaving Cornwall after the long weekend (and school holiday the week before) rather than heading there.

Also, I'm definitely stuck with a car, and not sure a train would be better (having suffered several Easter Monday train and car rental debacles on other trips).

So I guess it's the consensus I should get to Exeter ASAP and decide then if I have time to look around...

Is it also the consensus that I should not take the M3 headed west from around London? The ViaMichelin website keeps selecting that route, but you all seem to prefer the M4. Is that right?

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 04:12 PM

"<i>So I guess it's the consensus I should get to Exeter ASAP and decide then if I have time to look around...</i>"

Seems so

"<i>Is it also the consensus that I should not take the M3 headed west from around London? The ViaMichelin website keeps selecting that route, but you all seem to prefer the M4. Is that right?</i>"

That would be my choice (I tend to prefer AA's site over via michelin -- just seems easier to use. But there isn't a huge difference)
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 02:18 AM

Dont forget that is the week that we get two four day weekends back to back so there will still be a lot of people on the roads regardless. I would try to get on the road as early as possible.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 03:11 AM

Both Google Map's suggested routes from Berkamsted (M4/M3-A303-A30) converge at Exeter, which I don't know so much about, but the M3-A303-A30 route gets you in striking distance of Salisbury and is, in my opinion, a prettier drive. Both are just a few minutes shy of 5 hours driving.

I do know Salisbury is a compact city and therefore walkable in under 3 hours, except on market day when it will take you that long to cross the market square! (Kidding of course).

Stonehenge is a 30 minute drive from Salisbury and shouldn't keep you occupied for long when you get there.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The A303 on Easter Monday *Shudder*
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 06:47 AM

Willit is right. Some parts of the A303 are OK, but much of it is dire at the best of times. On Easter Monday it is likely to be at its worst.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 07:32 AM

Whatever you do dont drive on the A303 - we sat on that highway for hours last Aug!!!!
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 08:49 AM

Consider Avebury - I liked it better than Stonehenge, especially since at Avebury you can get among the stones.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 10:30 AM

And Avebury is just a few miles off the M4 at Junction 16. Turn left along a small side road, probably signed Salthrop, follow this along, up the hill, continue along until you reach a main road where you turn right. Avebury is not far along this road - you drive literally through the stones into the village.

You drive along below the Berkshire downs, there's a White Horse at Uffcot (both a chalk one on the hill and a pub). Atop the downs are 3 clumps of trees. I can see them from where I live 30 miles away, and we've always called them the 3 hedgehogs, because that's what they look like from a distance!

Also, close to Avebury is West Kennet Long Barrow. You can park on the roadside and walk up to this, and then enter it. To actually be inside a 5000 year old man-made structure is amazing. in fact, to walk around the stones at Avebury, to be able to touch them, sit on them (or at least in the Devil's Chair), and sense the energies there is much more powerful and impressive than Stonehenge. As well there is the Avenue, Silbury Hill, the museums in the village, plus the supposedly haunted Red Lion pub, and far fewer visitors than at Stonehenge. There is a nice lunchtime menu at the Wagon and Horses at Beckhampton down on the A4, and also at the Crown at Broad Hinton.

Avebury is a stop worth considering.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 10:51 AM

since they said they only had a few hours, I didn't mention the Long Barrow, but I certainly recommend it. I was the only one there when I visited it!
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I had been thinking about Avebury. We are definitely going to have to play this by ear. Not like me to be spontaneous but I will try....
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:12 AM

not everywhere goes back to school on the tuesday, some parts of the country don't go back until after the may bank holiday!