England- Road Trip South West

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are flying into Heathrow Airport where we pick up our rental car and plan on doing a road trip in South West England for approx. 6 days before meeting friends in Leicester to continue on our trip.
At this point, we have not made up an itinerary. We leave Heathrow on a Saturday morning and need to be in Leicester by Thursday evening. Anyone done any driving in this area? Can you give us some tips on places that we should get to, and places we can miss. Is this a doable length of time for this road trip. (My husband's first trip to England, my second). We will be seeing some sights in London at the end of our stay in the UK.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:52 AM

Does your flight get in Sat. morning or will you have already had a good night's sleep? Because that will determine whether you drive for a bit and have a sleep or can drive all the way to ???

That's the next question. The south-west of England is a large area. Is your thinking to go all the way to Cornwall? Or just Dorset? Are you interested in the sea in south Devon or in northern Somerset? I think you have to help us narrow down our responses a bit by at least telling us what you are interested in.

On Britain's AA website http://www.theaa.com/travel/index.jsp it says it is a 5 hr. and 20 min. drive from Heathrow to Penzance (in Cornwall) and a 5 hr. and 40 min. drive from Penzance to Leicester. I think those times are optimistic and don't take into account road delays, construction, any stops, etc. If you budgetted 8 hours each way - stopping to eat or see something or visit the facilities - you have an idea, perhaps what you are up against.

Certainly you could do the Stonehenge, Salisbury, Bath, Cotswolds drive so many tourists do.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
First you need to tell us what you mean by SW England. Normally that indicates a very specific area -- Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset and sometimes one or two other counties. But some visitors think "SW England" covers everything from London to the west (Wiltshire, Berkshire, the Cotswolds, Bath, Stonehenge/Salisbury etc etc.). So tell us what area(s) you are considering.

Cornwall is a loooong way from Leicester. And a long way from LHR too.

If you are flying in long haul you'll not want to drive the first day - or at least not more than a very few miles. Some like to spend the first day/night in Windsor and then start their driving tour the next day after a good night's sleep.

You could visit Cornwall/Devon and get up to Leicester in 5 days but it would be awfully rushed.

If you mean more along the lines of Bath/Somerset/the Cotswolds - more doable.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Yes. What 'they' said.

I would add. Depends if you're driving on a holiday weekend. Of course, i hope it's Cornwall--most beautiful!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM

Also - how does this leg fit in w/ your Paris visit?

If you are going to be in Paris before the UK, you can fly from CDG to Bristol or Exeter which are much closer to Cornwall/Devon than is LHR.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

I will clarify some of our trip details. We fly into Heathrow Saturday morning and pick up our rental car early am. We will have gotten some sleep on the plane, but when we get into the airport, that would be normally our night.

Yes, I was thinking that Windsor might be a good idea for our first night. We are going in September and we haven't booked any accommodation, thinking that we could get B&B's along the way without difficulty at that time of the year?? (maybe we should consider booking something in Windsor for that first night if we decide to stay there).

I was thinking I'd like to go to Cornwall. You read so much about Cornwall/Penzance in English fiction books, it just makes you want to go!! Basically, we're open to anything, as neither of us has seen any South West England. If Cornwall is too optimistic in our timeframe, we don't have to do it.

Basically, I'd like to have a rough itinerary, and if we veer off of it, it doesn't really matter, as long as we end up in Leicester by Thursday evening. I know my husband is not one to be rushing around and I really would like him to enjoy this trip (he loves to drive places)- he's not much of a travel bug and I'd love for him to want to go back again...(this is his first trip to Europe).

And by South West England, I was including any part or all of it- nothing real specific. As much as is reasonable within our timeframe.

When I travelled to Scotland a couple of years ago, the time I enjoyed most was when we were touring around in our rental car, out of the cities, just seeing the splendour of the countryside and the sights of interest along the way. Of course, we never seemed to have enough time no matter where we went...(I digress!)

After touring around South West England for the 6 days, we then spend a few days in Leicester to meet our friends for a special event, then go to Paris for a few days, then back to London for a few days, before flying home. All our accommodations/flights are booked except our nights on the road with our rental, in order to give us some freedom. Does England have any holiday weekends in September that we have to worry about?

Hope this clears up some of your questions. I know I haven't narrowed down our area at all, but you can get the gist of our intentions.

Thanks for your assistance. This forum is great!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:36 PM

That clears up a lot.

What I would do is get a car at LHR and drive just as far as Windsor. Definitely book your room for the first night. The reason I say collect the car the first day is so you can get an early start the next morning after a good night's sleep. If you wait until that day to pick up the car you'll have to faff around w/ the paperwork and such and won't likely get on your way until mid morning or later.

Then just head SW - Make sure you have a good road atlas w/ you. Don't rely 100% on a GPS even if one comes w/ the rental car. You can get a good atlas in any news agent or garage in Windsor.

W/ just the two of you, you won't have much problem finding rooms. If you need help - every town will have a Tourist Information Office that will have a list of available B&Bs. They will also call ahead to your next destination to book you a place.

I'd say Cornwall might be a bit ambitious - but you can decide as you are touring. There is lots of lovely coastal scenery in Dorset and Devon. But you could manage Windsor 1 night, the Dorset Coast or somewhere in Somerset 1 night, down to eastern Cornwall/western Devon 2 nights, then back up to the Cotswold area 1 or 2 nights, and on to Leicester.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 11:52 PM

You can easily get down to Cornwall for 3 days or so. It's a bit of a drive but it's not the other end of the earth. I've done weekends down there from further east than Windsor.

Old Aug 8th, 2008, 05:54 AM

Windsor is a great place for the first night. You could visit Windsor Castle that day. It is something not to miss.

A small village we enjoyed stopping to see was Lacock. Many movies are filmed there since the 50s. The Hounds of Baskerville was being filmed there when we stopped.
http://gallery.beautifulengland.net/...2_itemId=14459 You can see some photos of the village at this website.

Old Aug 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's advice. Does anyone know a nice B&B in or near Windsor? And I would like to see the Windsor Castle for sure!

I will have limited access to the computer in the next couple of weeks, however, will be checking periodically as I can, so keep the suggestions coming if you wish. I have armed myself with books on Great Britain and have a couple of Michelin maps.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 08:58 AM

What is your budget? Windsor can be fairly pricey, but a sparkling new Travelodge recently opened that is quite near the Castle and can have terrific rates depending on dates/advance booking.

It definitely is not a B&B, but for a first night might be an OK choice.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 04:11 AM

More suggestions for places to visit in Devon and Cornwall. see my bog at www.xanga.com/urbino
N.B. Distances may not seem great but driving times can be long as there are no really fast roads south of Plymouth. M5 finishes at Exeter. A38 dual carriageway south to Plymouth, then everything slows down. Can take 2-3 hours to get to Cornwall from Exeter.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 04:45 AM

In July, we made a similar trip and chose to drive from Heathrow via Stonehenge and Salisbury to North Devon (an easy half-day drive) and from there via Bath to the Cotswolds and Oxford.

We found especially North Devon absolutely breathtaking and can highl recommend the area for scenery, picturesque villages, dramatic coastline and, yes, food.

You might be interested in our trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35148574
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:30 AM

http://www.langtonhouse.co.uk/

We stayed at the langtonhouse b&b in Windsor. It was a short walk to Windsor Castle. It has good reviews on tripadvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...d_England.html
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:38 AM

I usually don't call attention to people's typos, being all too guilty of them myself, freudian or otherwise.

But my mind boggles at the picture of bellini's online bog.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 08:06 AM

whoops! Thanks Mimar- that should read BLOG!!
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Hi raz

Yes, it's a fair old drive from LHR (or Windsor) down to Cornwall, but we do it all the time! When we flew back from 4-weeks in the US (longhaul from LA), we got no sleep on the plane, but still managed to drive home! (We're on the Devon/Cornwall border, at Plymouth). I would stay in Windsor, or thereabouts, for the first night though, if you can.

You will love Cornwall! Anywhere is close to everything else, so perhaps you could just arrive and take it from there (dependent on the weather). You will have plenty of time to see the whole county, plus a fair amount of Devon, if you wish.

My suggestions for 'lovely' would be the north coast of Cornwall (all of it!), plus some villages on the south coast and Lands End (of course!). In S Devon, (I'm presuming you're from the US?), perhaps you might like to make a quick trip to Plymouth to see the Mayflower Steps on the Barbican - and also Slapton Sands, where there is a memorial (a Sherman Tank) to hundreds of US servicemen who lost their lives practising for D-Day from there. It's a nice area, with a lagoonal Nature Reserve behind the beach and one of the loveliest beaches in the county (Blackpool Sands) a little further on. Then there is Dartmoor and Torbay - much to see.

Hope you have a great time and that the weather is kind to you.