Reload this Page >

Salerno by train?

Search

Salerno by train?

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Nadine

Salerno by train?

<BR>Hi there,<BR>I am hoping to gain some insight on how to get to Salerno from Rome's airport. I arrive late. Do the trains run after 10 pm? (Is that a silly question? B/c in my country they stop at 11 pm.) <BR>Is it fairly close, an hour or so, cost? Any recommendations for a decent/decently priced hotel in Salerno?<BR>Or would I have better luck staying in Rome for the night and taking the train the next day? <BR>Salerno -- sights to see? Shopping? My guide book doesn't go into great detail for this city. Will then be heading to the Amalfi Coast to meet up with a friend. <BR>Any helpful hints welcome. <BR>Thanks!<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 12:09 PM
ppp

From Rome's airport, there arethe following late departures with connections to Salerno:<BR><BR>10:07pm 10:39pm Roma Termini 11:00pm 01:58am Salerno <BR>10:37pm 11:09pm Roma Termini 11:34pm 02:44am Salerno<BR>11:37pm 11:54pm Roma Ostiense 01:15am 04:22am Salerno

Old May 18th, 2002, 12:19 PM
ppp

Journey from the airport through Termini costs about Euro 25/32 on 2nd/1st class seats (through Roma Ostiense, about Euro 18/29)

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:25 AM
GAC

The three star hotel Plaza in Salerno is across the square from the train station. See the old town and the cathedral in Salerno.

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:14 AM
Nadine

Thanks for your input!<BR><BR>PPP -- I hope to leave the airport around 9-9:30. (assuming this is reasonable after landing at 8:30 pm)<BR>Any idea how long the trip by train to Salerno is? 2 hours? Many stops in between?<BR>Trying to convince a friend to meet me if it's not too late.<BR>I have read that 2nd class is okay, do you recommend it at this time of night?<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR>Nadine

Old May 28th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Steve James

Hello Nadine,<BR><BR>Rome Airport to Salerno is a journey of 3hours 50 mins. As you can see from Paolo's post, you would arrive in Salerno at 01.58a.m.!<BR><BR>I suggest you book your first night in Rome.<BR><BR>Steve

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Terra

You can get all the train schedules at: http://www.fs-on-line.com/ <BR><BR>I don't know if I would want to travel alone (as a young woman) to Salerno from Rome so late at night. The train is probably fine, but the station area in Salerno isn't so nice (at least it wasn't 8 years ago when I was last there). <BR><BR>A nice excursion from Salerno is Paestum, about an hour by bus (less by train I believe) from Salerno-- an ancient Greek city with some fantastic temples. Also a nice excursion is to the beach, I've been to Sta. Maria di Castellebate about 8km from Salerno.<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio! <BR><BR>