Salema, Algarve

Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Salema, Algarve

We are planning a Northern Spain and Portugal trip for September. We want to stay few days in Algarve but not in crowdy beach or town. On the Web I found two Bed'nBreakfast in Salema. "Villa Dama de Salema" and "Romantik villa". I would appreciate comments of someone staying at these places.

Marie-france
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:49 AM

Check out the Rick Steves' Board
http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti66.html

It seems as though people love the Romantik Villa, although I've never been there myself. Good luck!
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:09 AM

If you want small and isolated then Salema is your place. I prefer Lagos for more to see and do. Good luck !
Jul 9th, 2003, 05:52 PM
kd

We loved the "Romantik Villa". Although as bobthenavigator said there is nothing much to do in Salema, for us it was a pefect end to our trip after doing the urban sightseeing thing in Madrid, Seville, and Lisbon. We spent four nights at the Romantik Villa. We "splurged" on the suite for the 70 euros per night. It was well worth it and was the nicest place we stayed during our 2 week trip although we had paid much more in other locations. Lisa, the owner of the villa, was very helpful. One thing to note, however, at the time of our trip (the end of June) she was not yet serving breakfast, but was building a breakfast room. It was not a problem for us. The market was maybe a 5 minute walk down the hill and since we had the suite we were able to purchase breakfast and other items.

Although Salema itself is more of a relaxation destination, we did take take a trip (we had a car) to Sagres. We ate lunch at the Pousada there (which was excellent!).

Also - if you make it to Salema and have a car, drive over to Figuera (approximately 2 miles from downtown Salema). When you get in town follow the sign for the fort. From there you can get to Figuera beach AND climb up to the ruins of the fort if you wish. The beach was awesome. Very untouristed and clothing optional if you wish. Rick Steves describes being able to hike to Figuera Beach from Salema Beach, but it seemed easier to drive over and then walk the 10 - 15 minutes from the parking area.

Enjoy your trip!
Jul 14th, 2003, 12:54 PM
me

When we visited Salema for a day trip-we were the only peoples on the beach ! It's very nice though.