Search

Saint-Tropez

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2018, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saint-Tropez

What is the best way to get to Saint-Tropez from Marseille, France? It looks like you have to take a train and then boat.

Thanks,
Glenda
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mastvin1000
What is the best way to get to Saint-Tropez from Marseille, France? It looks like you have to take a train and then boat.

Thanks,
Glenda
2 hours by car, significantly longer by train. Saint-Tropez is not on an island... why would you need to take a train?

Old Jul 21st, 2018, 10:24 AM

Can take train to St Raphael and then boat or bus. Those are regional trains that need not be pre-booked as fare is exactly same at stations as online - no reserved seats even possible. You can also take TGV trains that must be pre-booked though can be bought at stations too but seat reservations come with the ticket - those trains cost more and are no faster than the TER regional trains so stick to the frequent TER trains. For lots on French trains check www.oui.sncf; www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts. I assume OP wants to go by public transit and not drive - not much need for car once there.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

I won't have a car. I am flying in from Lisbon. Thanks
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

BATEAUX DE SAINT-RAPHAEL

If I train to Saint Raphael is this the boat I should take?

Thanks,
Glenda
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 04:34 PM

I'm curious. Have you visited St Tropez before? I'm a St Tropez fan - but taking a plane, then a train, then a boat to get there is a lot of effort!!

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 05:13 PM

St-Tropez is on an isolated part of a peninsula and a small boat across the bay (from, I thiink, Ste-Maxime) is a common means of access. I spent a pleasant part of an afternoon and was quite ready to leave.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

No. I spent time in Nice and Cannes several years ago and really enjoyed my time there. I ran out of time and did not make it to St. Tropez so I would like to swing by on a trip focused on Portugal.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 07:32 AM

St Tropez is quite small. Without shopping, you can walk all the streets in 1 hr or less. Maybe another hour having a coffee at the port and another hr having lunch - or port & lunch in 1 1/2 hrs. We like La Ponche for dinner & lunch (not at the port). The "famous" beaches are quite far away - at Pampalonne. You'll need a taxi or something like that to get there & back.

Also, you'll need a taxi or something to get from the Marseilles airport to the train station. So that's a day of plane, taxi, train, & boat to get to St Tropez. Same to get back to Marseilles.

You might consider Antibes instead. Train there from Marseilles. If you plan to stay for a couple of days, consider renting a car at the Marseilles airport and while based in St Tropez also visit Bormes, Ramatouelle, Gassin, and Grimaud (town - not the port) while in the area.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 09:27 AM

I will just second or third the recommendation that the St. Tropez area is best enjoyed by car. Unlike the rest of the cote d'azur the area is best experienced by car, in order to see the sights Stu listed (and more just inland). The roads around St. Tropez can be crowded in the summer but in general the driving is pretty easy. Note there are also boats from Juan Les Pins (and Cannes) that do return trips during the summer.
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 08:48 AM

Forget the car in from july 14th to august 15th. Roads are totally congested, forget buses too. I carefully aim my visits to Saint-Tropez avoiding 'rush hours' and it is not ucommon to spend 1h 30 min from La Foulx to St Trop and once there you cannot park...
Definitely accessing by boat is the good option.
I like la Ponce too. My best meal in St Trop was at 'le vivier du pilon' just when you leave the parking du port, you don't really go onto the mainroad, you are directly into the restaurant.
As the name suggests it is mainly seafood and the view is pectacular on the bay.