Safety in Paris?

Search

Safety in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety in Paris?

So I am an early riser, I mean, very early. I love to be up by about 4:30-5 am most days and sunrise is my favorite time of day. My daughter doesn't share my enthusiasm for sunrise. Am I safe wandering around on my own to photograph Paris in the wee hours? We are staying in the Le Marais section of town, but I would like to head to the Trocadero and Notre Dame, and not sure where else while we are there. I'll be aware of my surroundings but I am a woman in a foreign city that I am not familiar with. Thoughts?
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 02:26 PM

Absolutely yes I would think - there should be few out except maybe those street cleaners with the weird brooms. Central Paris is very safe in any case. More problematic during later hours when pickpockets may be out but they will not be out at times when there is no one else around to target.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 02:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We left early last visit and it was a bit amazing to see the streets at that time of the day. Lots of trucks!! People are very busy with deliveries. I did not see anyone else but people busy working. I am getting up early and exploring next visit. You should be fine.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 04:06 PM

Yes. you will be fine.. I too get up very early in Paris.. the time change makes me crazy so I have been up at 5 am wandering about.. its an interesting look at the city.. still sleeping, many cafes dont open till 7 or so.. but there are bakeries already working ( although perhaps not open for business).. and as Macross says.. deliveries are happening..
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 07:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Dawn is an excellent time to wander the city.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 08:03 PM

It will feel like you have Paris to yourself.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 08:39 PM
kja

As a solo female traveler, I wouldn't think twice about it! That said, reasonable precautions are always wise. Enjoy!
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:40 PM

Bakeries are often open early, and many sell coffee. Also interesting is watching markets being set up, the traders arriving, early morning coffee and market opening. Cafes near markets will be open early to accommodate the traders. Aligre market and Bastille market are great for this, and there's also a good size market in the 15th, under the railway viaduct at Blvd de Grenelle. Trading starts from 7am, so set up will be from 5 am onward.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 10:02 PM

It was a long time ago when I did just what you are thinking of doing. A solo female traveler, I was so excited to be in Paris for the first time in my life that I awoke before sunrise and decide to go out an explore the city. All seemed fine and lovely as light dawned over the city and the street lamps were turned off -- until I decided to have a look at the Tuileries. Then I noticed I was being followed by a shady man, and while I quickly exited back to the streets lined with shops, where there were more people, but still not many -- the same man followed me and finally caught up with me. Frightened, I shouted at him in English to leave me alone, which he did. It's likely he mistook me for a prostitute.

It was of course a mistake on my part to have entered an isolated area, away from street traffic. It was something I never would have done in an American, and not even a British city. So if the magic of Paris at dawn enchants you so much you are tempted to head into areas away from shops, hotels, bus stops, etc, resist the temptation. Otherwise, I myself would go out again alone at dawn in Paris to sightsee. Just not into the parks or along the lower banks of the Seine or anyplace I couldn't readily see other people and activity.

Last edited by kitbag; Apr 19th, 2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kitbag
It was a long time ago when I did just what you are thinking of doing. A solo female traveler, I was so excited to be in Paris for the first time in my life that I awoke before sunrise and decide to go out an explore the city. All seemed fine and lovely as light dawned over the city and the street lamps were turned off -- until I decided to have a look at the Tuileries. Then I noticed I was being followed by a shady man, and while I quickly exited back to the streets lined with shops, where there were more people, but still not many -- the same man followed me and finally caught up with me. Frightened, I shouted at him in English to leave me alone, which he did. It's likely he mistook me for a prostitute.

It was of course a mistake on my part to have entered an isolated area, away from street traffic. It was something I never would have done in an American, and not even a British city. So if the magic of Paris at dawn enchants you so much you are tempted to head into areas away from shops, hotels, bus stops, etc, resist the temptation. Otherwise, I myself would go out again alone at dawn in Paris to sightsee. Just not into the parks or along the lower banks of the Seine or anyplace I couldn't readily see other people and activity.
Good advice. Thank you
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for confirming what I already was hoping! So very excited to meander around and see things in a different perspective!
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 01:40 PM

Some of my favorite memories of Paris involve long, pre-dawn walks. The City of Lights at its most beautiful. The cafe owners will be hosing down their sidewalks before setting up the little tables. The wafting aroma from every patisserie. Everything is clean and sparkling. And you have this feeling that Paris is all yours.

(I thought maybe I heard the monuments are no longer lit all night. Does anyone know if that is so?)
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 07:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeanneB

(I thought maybe I heard the monuments are no longer lit all night. Does anyone know if that is so?)
The monuments are lit until 1 a.m.
Old May 4th, 2018, 04:39 PM

We are kindred spirits. I also rISE very early and have never felt afraid in the central historic core of PARIS. IVe walked behind Notre Dame and the bridge Des Tournelles in the dark and felt totally safe...I'm single lady of a certain age.