Safe travel in Krakow and Warsaw

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone recently told me Krakow and Warsaw have a lot of street gangs looking to rob people, especially tourists. They mentioned ATM's were dangerous to use.
Also, they mentioned not to be out on the streets past 10:00 pm(!)--too dangerous!

Both these things surprised me--especially the latter. I have travelled extensively throughout Europe and know that most big cities have all of this, to some degree. (obviously, one always has to be careful.)

Has anyone had or heard of bad experiences in these kind of above-mentioned situations in Krakow or Warsaw, specifically? Thanks!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Have not been to Warsaw but I have been to Krakow for a week and did not see these roving gangs of street thugs anywhere. I wonder what dangerous things are going to happen if you are on the streets past 10 pm!!!! Really, the central part of Krakow is full of sidewalk restaurants with all kinds of people in public and around at that time and later. To me, that would be sort of like telling someone the same thing in reference to the Champs-Elysees or bd St-Germain in Paris if you are familiar with them. Just very peculiar. Maybe there are street thugs in some suburbs or areas like that, I don't know, but it's not a problem in the very central area. I managed to used ATMs several times and escaped with my life. Again, perhaps that's an issue for those who use them in less central areas or bad parts of town.

Now, I do have a friend who traveled a lot in Europe as a concert artist and he told me both Krakow and Poland did have a lot of crime and he had to always have body guards there for safety, but that was perhaps 20-25 years ago when he was there.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:44 PM

There are places in Warsaw and Krakow that can be dangerous, but that's with any big city... Tourist areas are guarded with additional Police units so they are really no problem. As for dangerous areas... ie. around any train/bus station after 10pm could be unsafe, underground passage could also be bad, sections like Praga in Warsaw (which is definitly not a tourist destination) could be unsafe. But if you are just hanging out at ie old city in both or checking out bars/restaurants etc. you will be just fine... If you do end up (get lost) in some weird area - just grab a taxi or have phone card - to call for one to pick you up...

Enjoy and relax!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:30 PM

I was in Krakow and Warsaw in late March and felt completely safe. I used an ATM, but made sure it was a cardswiper rather than a machine in which you have to insert the card to avoid "criminal helpers who like to help you get your card out then run away." I only used the ATM's in the main squares of both cities and had my 6'7" hubby behind me. We stayed in an apartment when in Warsaw from which I walked with a girl-friend at night to stroll and felt completely safe. The only dangerous element were some leering drunkards and some rather large trashcan rats roaming the alleyways. I tried to blend in as much as possible, which for Americans, I think, is easier in colder weather because our clothes and boots may not give us away as fast. Anyway, I saw no street gangs, just a lot of young people out for a good time.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:34 PM

I forgot to add that my Polish and Slovakian friends who met us there said that one thing that scam artists do notice about Americans is that we all walk looking up and smiling "for no reason" and sometimes can be rather loud. I still looked up at things, but I tried to keep a straight face when walking in a crowd at night. Silly, huh?
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 04:23 PM

I think if I listened to every travel warning that I've ever heard that I would not come out from underneath my bed!

Like any major city, there is crime in Krakow and Warsaw and certainly you should keep your wits about you. But we were out well past 10 in Krakow, our hotel was outside the tourist district and we never felt unsafe. There were people out eating and walking well into the night in the area around the main square.

Warsaw is a bit more spread out but I never felt uneasy there either. If you feel uncomfortable after dark, catch a taxi.

We used ATMs all over Krakow and Warsaw, no problem. Used it at the airport, at the train station, in central Krakow. I'm not quite sure what TeacherSue means about card swipers, but we used the same kind they have in the US where it takes your card and spits it back out again.

The only scam that we did encounter was a taxi driver that didn't reset his meter. The extra amount wasn't worth arguing over so I let it go.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 02:10 AM

Try <[email protected]>.
Consider that news reports usually only tell about sensational happenings. You can get regular alert postings from embassy services.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 10:07 AM

If you use commons ense you would be OK. Compared to most US cities Krakow and Warsaw are safe. Of course don't take a midnight stroll into Saski Park in Warsaw (but Central Park isn't that safe either after dark) And some parts of the Praga side in Warsaw are to be avoided even in daytime;
I am Belgian and have been travelling several times per year to Poland since 1989, nad have never, never been te victim of any criminal act. I'd say the traffic in Warsaw would much easier bring you into trouble as any gang !
(I know because my wife is from Warsaw and she drives as a gladiator)