Krakow or Warsaw

Search

Krakow or Warsaw

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krakow or Warsaw

I will be in Poland for 2-3 days at the end of October and I would like to go to either Krakow or Warsaw. I would really appreciate advice on which city I should go to and why.

Thanks, PLanigan
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 10:55 PM

Hi PLanigan,

Both places are very interesting and worth seeing, I loved visiting both Warsaw and Krakow in general. Something I really enjoyed in Krakow, they have a huge 'souk' market filled to the brim with craft and jewellery shops, and heaps of amber in different colours, I bought amber rings and earrings and other wooden crafts. In Poland we visited the remains of Auschwitz Concentration Camp to me a memorable and important place to see, but I know that would not be everybody's preference because of the horrific sadness that occurred there. You really can't go wrong whichever city you choose both give a great experience. Hope this helps you.

aussieR
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Hi there,

Krakow has the history and the architecture was left intact during WWII. It also have the famous university Jagiellonian University. It is known as the heart of Poland. So it has a more cultural artistic feel. More authentic. Warsaw was completely rebuilt and is the economic centre so it has better (newer) hotels, restaurants, a big city buzz. Don't know where you are from but the equivalent 2 destinations in Canada would be Quebec City (Krakow) and Toronto (Warsaw). Hope this helps.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 10:41 AM

Glad you are coming! You could visit both Warszawa and Krakow. Better try Wroclaw...Warszawa is a commercial city. Krakow is a historical site. Wroclaw is the new beginning of today's Poland.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 03:17 PM

I visited both cities earlier this year and would definitely recommend Krakow.Its main square alone is worth seeing. And as roman says, the fact that Warsaw was completely destroyed during WW II is unfortunately evident. Everything had to be rebuilt therefore hardly any of its architectural heritage is preserved.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 03:27 PM

I'd vote for Krakow. It was not destroyed by the War and it was the capital of Poland in its golden age, the 17th century I think, or 18th. It has the biggest medieval market square in Europe which is ringed with cafes and has a sweet lovely vibe.

Sights include its castle, in which I believe a dragon still lives, and in a small museum Leonardo's Lady With an Ermine, worth the price of the plane ticket. Also the Salt Mines as odd as this sounds is a sight worth seeing.

If Catholic icons mean something to you - the monastery shrine of the Black Virgin, Czestochowa, is a nice day trip.
Pilgrimages to this site very powerful in uniting the people of Poland in the Solidarity days.

Warsaw - haven't spent much time there -just enough to buy a box of these unique pastries hot, think they're called panchki. Chopin's place supposed to be nice.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 05:52 PM

we were in krakow for five days in winter. i have yet to find a world heritage site to be disappointing.

do not miss the salt mines outside the city.

the jewish quarter is very moving. bought some informative literature there andstood on the sites where all these tragedies occurred.
this is also where schindler's list was filmed.
you can see the actual factory also from outside.

the entire town was charming. we went to a fun restaurant "the peasant's kitchen" or something like that. music and local dishes.

also to a beautiful palatial home at edge of city ( 15 minutes from towen) that is nice restaurant. (sorry,can't find card.)

we stayed at hotel polonia right across from train station. large clean modernized room with a big showered bathroom.
good price. we actually negotiated a lower price than we were told asking for the one night rate, and then how much it would be for the five nights.

we felt very safe. took the tram and buses with special tickets. not a complaint. even went to a polish play and enjoyed it. great actors.. very funny, and just across the street in park from the hotel.

you will not be disappointed. havenot been to warsaw but i understand the old quarter is magnificent.

Old Sep 11th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Krakow! hands down... your 2-3days be filled to the rim - with just Krakow - from here if you also desire you can take a quick trip to Wieliczka (salt mines) which is just outside of Krakow city limits or go see the mountains in Zakopane - which is about 1-1.5hrs ourside of Krakow with frequent bus/train connection...

Enjoy Krakow!