Search

Süd Tirol: a great hotel recommendation: Hotel Engel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Süd Tirol: a great hotel recommendation: Hotel Engel

Hello all,

I wanted to pass along the name of an amazing hotel in Süd Tirol, which came as a recommendation from some friends in Munich and which we just visited last weekend.

The hotel is called Hotel Engel, and is a family-operated spa & wellness resort. It is much better in person compared to the website photos. We were there just for the weekend (it's just a 3-hour drive for us), but I understand that most people stay for one week.

LOCATION: in Nova Levante, which is northeast of Bozen, way up in the mountains. The 14 KM drive from Bozen to the resort is amazing, considering the dynamite blasting that had to be done to make the road.

Nova Levante itself is a very small town, with a tourist office, a church, grocery store, a few basic shops and other hotels.

The hotel is situated on a mountain/cliff, and many rooms (including ours) overlooked a huge mountain. Spectacular.

ACCOMODATIONS:

we booked the equivalent of a superior room, but the hotel upgraded us to a suite, since it was available. This was on the ground floor (three floors below reception, since the hotel is situated on a hill), which was great for letting our little dog outside to play and go to the bathroom (dogs only 5 euro extra per day).

Reception at the hotel is super nice. The woman at the desk gave us a glass of prosecco upon arrival.

The bedroom portion was very large and tastefully, yet simply, decorated.

The bathroom was spectacular & very big. A separate area for toilet and a large bureau area and shower/tub combination, all done in Marble.

SERVICE: This resort is all-inclusive, which means you get an amazing breakfast (buffet), lunch (buffet most days, but I think sometimes, it is choice of two main dishes), a tea and cakes buffet from 3-5pm and then a very nice dinner. For us it was: mixed antipasti from a buffet for the starter, soup or appetizer from the menu, ossobuco or roasted veal filet from the menu, then choice of dessert.

All juices and water are included. You have to pay for alcohol & espresso, but prices for those were very reasonable.

The dining rooms are gorgeous. Amazing wood furnishings, curtains and upholstered chairs, with the one wall being mostly glass and looking over the mountain. For our cakes buffet, it was warm enough to eat outside on the dining room balcony.

SPA & WELLNESS Services:

a medium-sized indoor pool and multiple saunas & steam rooms are available at no charge, as well as two 'relaxing rooms' that overlook the mountains. Very soft music & great smelling candles are burning there. We fell asleep in there! The only thing I found lacking was an outdoor hot tub overlooking the mountains. There is plenty of room for this, so maybe the next time we go back, it will be there!

Massages and the like are offered at very reasonable prices.

PRICE: very cheap for what you get. Our superior double cost 77 Euro p/p per day, which included a 10 Euro per days supplement p/p, since we didn't stay at least 3 nights.
Although this is considered low season, we were able to relax very well at eat even better for less than 160 Euro per night, including all taxes.

http://www.hotel-engel.com/p3100_uk.html

I hope some of you will be able to share in this experience, should you ever be in Süd Tirol.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 03:15 PM

Thanks for sharing the information regarding this hotel, I have been to Bolzano and Trento several times but not in Nova Levante yet. Great detailed review...I am looking forward to include this hotel in my future itineraries in that area.

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 03:36 PM

The hotel and the price sound great. Is there much to do in the surrounding area?
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

In the surrounding area, there is great hiking and I suspect there is very good skiing close by, due to the hotel's position in the mountains.

We mostly enjoyed eating and hanging out in the steam rooms.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 08:02 AM

Around Bolzano there is a lot to do and see including a "wine strasse" with a lot of wonderful wineries.