Search

Ryanair, Madrid & visa check

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair, Madrid & visa check

Hi!
i am really hoping that someone can help me as I am a bit freaking out!
I booked a flight from Madrid-Marakesh with RyanAir (depite all the bad things I had heard about it) because I am pretty broke & it was cheap.
Then I read that RyanAir requires a "visa check" if you are non-EU (I am US) and if you do not have a SPANISH immigration stamp they will deny the flight (I came thru Germany & am traveling to Spain from Paris by train so I won't have a stamp for Spain).
I tried to read up on it but it was seriously confusing. So I am wodering:
1. do I need to get a visa stamp for Spain
and
2. how can I get one since I am coming on the train??
Any help would be amazing! Thanks

Also, I am flying Marrakesh-Frankfurt as well, but am assuimg that will be easier, as I already have my visa stamp for Germany???

I am so lost, and wish I had never decided to fly RyanAir...uggh

Thanks
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK--I'm a bit confused. If you are American you don't need a visa for either Germany or Spain. Unless - are you in Germany on some sort of long-stay visa.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 10:17 AM

First of all, this isn't the place to get an answer - you should really do that from the governments involved to see what sort of visas you need (the airline is only enforcing governmnet rules).

And without knowing your nationality and visa status no one here can even guess as to what rules might apply to you.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM

calm down. ryanair's "visa check' is just their way of hoping you don't go to their ticket desk so they can see your passport and confirm you are the ticket holder, so they can deny boarding to a few non eu passnegers who didn't read the instructions.

you just take your passport and boarding pass to the ticket counter, not the check in counter, wait in line so give yourslef extra time.. sometimes there are 20 people doing this,and they mark your boarding pass as having looked at your passport.

very simple.

make sure your carry on luggage fits your handbag and camera INSIDE and fits into the bin.. otherwise at the gate, where it is checked again, you will have to pay 40e.

enjoy morrocco
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 10:23 AM

p.s. this is the routine in spain/england.. but other airports may be a bit different. once in Frankfurt Hahn Germany they didn't know what i was talking about.. 'checking my passport".. so.. who knows in Morrocco.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 11:06 AM

There is currently no visa requirement for Americans traveling to Morocco, but who knows what the future will bring if the king gets tossed out.

As noted, the "visa check" on Ryanair is simply a passport check, the same as boarding any international flight.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 07:58 PM

".....As noted, the "visa check" on Ryanair is simply a passport check, the same as boarding any international flight."

For everyone's information:Ryanair does this unique "visa check" on domestic flights,too, in Spain and, I ASSUME, other places.