Visa Requirements for Namibia?

Feb 8th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Visa Requirements for Namibia?

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could clarify the visa issues for US & Canadian passport holders traveling to Namibia. I've been to the Namibia tourism board website and read that US & Canadian citizens' don't need visas, but that we need a letter of invitation from a Namibian resident. How would one obtain a letter of invite? Is confirmation of accommodation enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Surfergirl75
Feb 8th, 2008, 07:26 AM

When I went to Namibia, just filled out a visa app at the border, got a stamp in my passport and that was it. It did ask where I was staying and for how long.
Feb 8th, 2008, 07:44 AM

That sounds very strange. I visited Namibia, albeit several years ago, and didn't need an invite, but I have friends who visited more recently and didn't mention the need for an invitation.

If they did change the rules, I would expect you could get the invite from the hotel -- surely they can't expect every visitor to know someone in Namibia. The only person I know from there is the infant produced by Brangelina.
Feb 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Current TIMATIC info:

National U.S.A. (US) /Destination NAMIBIA (NA)

NAMIBIA (NA)

Passport required (must be valid at least 6 months beyond period of intended stay).

Visa not required provided:
- coming for touristic or business stay of max. 3 months; and

- holding return/onward ticket (preferably confirmed).

Visa exemption not applicable for those involved in the mass media coming on duty.

Passport must contain at least 2 unused visa pages for endorsements (for details see For details, click here.).
Feb 9th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who replied! Cheers, Surfergirl75
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:07 PM

surfergirl75,
I was in Namibia last June and had the same experience as matnikstym. Filled out paperwork at the Windhoek airport when I arrived. It only took a couple of minutes.
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:55 PM

I've traveled to Namibia on a Canadian passport twice - most recently in July 2007 - and never had a visa or a letter of invitation. I crossed the border by car on both occasions at Nakop (the SA border)/Ariamsvlei (the Namibian border)and was through in less than an hour. You can save yourself a lot of time if you have a list of all of the serial numbers of any electronics (computers, cameras, iPods, binoculars) and, if you are traveling by car, the year of the rental vehicle and the engine # (the latter is on the registration sticker on the windshield!). Enjoy Namibia and be sure to climb Big Daddy (the dune!) and visit Dead Vlei! For a fabulous place to stay - Eagle's Nest Lodge, Klein Aus Vista, in Aus, Namibia www.gondwana-desert-collection.com (the website doesn't do it justice, however!) Ask for "The Rock" cabin. Our "find" of 2007! Robin
Feb 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM

I visited Namibia in June 2006, with a US passport. As some others have said, all I had to do was fill out some papers on arrival at the airport. It was very quick and routine.