Ryanair luggage warning

Search

Ryanair luggage warning

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair luggage warning

We recently met our daughter after her study abroad in France. She had quite a bit of luggage to get home. Luckily there were 5 of us and we packed a larger suitcase than we needed to help accomodate her items. We booked a flight from Marselle to Madrid for 27 euros. The online baggage check in fees were 25 euros(each) This still was a bargain in time and money for us at 52 euros each. The checked luggage weight limit was 15 kg (33 lbs)each. Her bag initially weighed in at 22 kg! We readjusted and got down to about 17 kg each. The agent was very sweet and could see we were trying so she waved us through. Each additional kg was 20 euros! We could have easily paid 200 euros more for our trip! Luckily each child had a backpack , and I had a big black collapsable Lesportsac and a nylon net beach bag that we loaded up. Every person could take on only ONE item so purses, her computer, cameras, food, books, EVERYTHING had to be in it. That can weigh 10 kg so that is quite a bit but you have to have something big enough to contain it all. If you carry on a small suitcase that is your 1 item. If you have a bulky sweater or sweatshirt wear it! They didn't count clothing. You can check a second bag each but again only 15 kg and the price ranged from 25 to 50 euros a bag. July and August have an additional fee. We appreciate Ryanair and their reasonable fares but be aware that it is not the bottom line. Be prepared and aware. They post their policies very clearly. Bring your own food if you can not go without eating for 2 hours, but their onboard prices are not bad or more of a ripoff than the airport.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Very good post - I've lost count of the times that people have been caught out by Ryanair. What makes their rules so annoying is that some airports are so much more accommodating than others when it comes to hand baggage. I flew back from Porto two years ago and people were allowed to bring full-sized rucksacks on board as hand luggage, whereas in Stanstead they are very strict about hand luggage size.

With Ryanair, it's better to expect them to hold to the letter of their small print, rather than hope for the best. If you're stuck (and if it's Winter) you can always fill up the pockets of your coats with some excess bits and pieces (like books for instance) - I've been know to do that before!
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 08:00 AM

You can now buy 20kg in advance from Ryanair - but that's it and you don't get additional luggage allowance by paying for extra bags

As for the rest - Ryanair's rules on baggage are very clear and you ignore them at your peril - or more likely your bank balance's peril
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 08:13 AM

You were really lucky! I have seen people who were not so lucky.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 08:18 AM

We've seen a lot of posts here about baggage, baggage problems, the plight of the flight attendant as well as the apparent injustice that having to actually meet or pay for certain requirements does to "honest" travelers.

I suspect that IF and that is a big IF, the US-based carriers actually started enforcing their OWN carry-on rules we would see a lot fewer delays with pushbacks and a lot fewer FA issues with heavy lifting, etc., but the likelihood of this happening seems remote.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Dukey, I am not complaining of an injustice or thinking I did not deserve to pay an extra 200 euros for my excess baggage weight. I am very grateful for the kindness of our agent. As a mainly U.S. traveler I am used to backpacks and purses not being considered a carry on and am warning others who might believe the same. We actually did not exceed the total weight allowed for our party but did not have big enough carry on bags to accomodate it all. I am advising others to consider bringing foldable versatile carry ons. I did think the point of this forum was to offer advice which I did, not to lecture on the moral shortcomings of others.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 03:30 PM

Thanks, coral22. It is always helpful IMO to have a reminder of how the rules play out in different situations.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM

I'd buy a scale and weigh my bags before leaving from home. They send me several! emails in advance telling me, that baggage regulations are strict. Since I'm German ;-), I read them and do what they say. ;-).
No problem so far.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 04:01 PM

feel lucky. Friends of ours intended to take the train back to London from the Dordogne. She fell sick and stayed with us two extra days. The re-scheduled train would have been much more expensive than Ryanair, but they had soft cheese that would either be taken away as potential explosives or had to be put in the hold for an extra 30 euros (this was a the secuirty check and the regular luggage had already been checked in). They paid for 10 euros worth of cheese.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM

Nope, just RTFM.
RTFM just did it for me.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:29 PM

RyanAir (and easyjet) do post their luggage rules very clearly - and they mean it. Plan accordingly or pay...
(I always have an extra bag tucked away too like the OP but that only helps if you are under the number of bags your party could take even if over.)
Also note for this reason, it doesn't work to say oh we'll only take two bags for the four of us to avoid paying for four checked
bags...
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 11:58 PM

Don't forget the size of your baggage too...that is strictly controlled.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 01:15 AM

I stopped using Ryan Air a few years ago in favor of Easy Jet. Unlike Ryan, Easy Jet uses the major airports so you don't have those long bus rides to out of the way airports such as Beauvais for Paris or Reus for Barcelona. With Easy Jet there is no weight limit for carry-on bags as long as it fits in the test box at the gate. Any reasonable size carry-on fits in the box easily. Although they limit you to one carry-on I see lots of ladies also carrying on a reasonable sized purse. Also Easy Jet fares compare very well with Ryan. I find Ryan to be deceptive and a hassle to fly.

One other thing. Easy Jet offers a "Speedy Boarding" option for an added fee of course. Earlier this month I flew from Paris CDG to Glasgow. At Paris we were bussed from the gate to the plane out on the tarmac. The "Speedy Boarders" were first to get on the bus for their added fee but were given no priority boarding the plane from the bus. Cheapskate me was among the first to board the plane and choose a seat minus the added fee.

Larry J
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 01:25 AM

'Cheapskate me was among the first to board the plane and choose a seat minus the added fee.'

They do warn about this happening on their website.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Why wouldn't you know of the restrictions and cost if you book a ticket. Looks pretty clear to me.

Second, I don't understand cheaters.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Rogerdodger, Cheat:1. to deceive by trickery;swindle. 2.to deprive by trickery; defraud. Since, we were very forthright with the airline and our agent, you'll need to come up with another insult. I notice your last post was about chastising people with any debt for traveling, how helpful! I am the first to admit I did not pay close enough attention to all the restrictions, especially about purses and backpacks. Hence, the WARNING! I am not warning that I almost had to pay, I am advising others to reconsider their baggage choices. I am sorry that with traveling on 4 airlines that trip, I did not have every rule straight. Once again I am only trying save any one else who is scrambling to get ready for a trip, this same realization too late to do anything about it.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 02:07 PM

coral22, sorry, my intent was not to mock you in any way and certainly not calling you a cheat. That was for another poster. My choice of words may not have been the best, however, when I travel I certainly know the luggage limits..even write them down.
With regard to an eary post about people going into debt, I still mean it. I don't understand those who accumulate debt to indulge in ttavel.. To me saving for education, home and basic needs are far more meaningful.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
in the UK you can buy digital scales from Lakeland which weigh very little - we weigh our luggage before we leave and take the scales with us to weigh it on the way back.

they cost about £20 but have paid for themselves many times.

it certainly beats repacking your luggage on the airport concourse or paying excess to check it in.