ryanair and easyjet please share experiences

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering, actually leaning towards taking trains to and from major cities in Italy such as Venice, Rome, etc. depending on number of days maybe even two cities as you guys have suggested. However, I have heard some positive experiences about easyjet.com and ryanair.com, please share experiences and tell me for instance Paris to Venice, train vs. plane. Fare and time are major considerations.

Anyone know how far out of the way from central Paris BVA airport is? How far out of way is TSF airport in Venice?
Thanks so much
Ken
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM

I've flown both RyanAir and EasyJet, and had a good experience with the two airlines. I travelled between London and Edinburgh/Stockholm, so I can't speak as to leaving Italy, but I thought the price definitely made any other hassles worthwhile. The only problem I hadn't anticipated was the distance between the airlines' hub airports and the actual city. For example, EasyJet flies into "Stockholm"...but the airport is actually an hour away from the city proper. Overall, though, I'd recommend booking a flight on either airline if you find a cheap fare (and travel lightly!)
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:43 AM
AR

Venice Treviso airport is 19 Miles (30 km) from the city itself, but there is a bus service (at a cost of 4.5 Euros one way or 8 return) to Venice. The buses departure co-incide with the arrivals of planes and it is recommended that you allow 70 minutes for the transfer.
As for the airlines themselves, I have used both frequently and would highly recommend them for short haul flights.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:59 AM

Just remember (at least as to Ryanair; I've never flown Easyjet) to check out thoroughly their luggage policy. Mistakes in this area can be very expensive!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:21 AM

I assume you are already aware of the following:
the check-in timing requirements at the airports which are STRICTLY adhered to (the fantasy-oriented Fodorite whine about "being under stress' will get you nowehere)
the luggage restrictions in terms of weight
the fact that the sooner you book the cheaper the fare will be unless there is some sort of sale.

Otherwise you cannot beat it in terms of time spent and economy...I love taking the train, especially the night trains, but considering your concerns I'd say flying is what you want.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:04 AM

Beauvais airport is about 1 1/2 hours from Paris center.
You can take a shuttle to Porte Maillot stop, for 13 euros.
That's what we're going to do in April.

By the way, we stayed with friend in Beauvais a few years ago, and the center of town is pretty neat. It also has one of the tallest cathedrals in France (? can't remember the specifics) and it won't be there much longer because it's already started to collapse.