4.99 EURs Venice to Rome on Ryanair?

Oct 30th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

4.99 EURs Venice to Rome on Ryanair?

Am I possibly reading the website correctly? I just thought I would get an idea of the cost to fly from Venice to Rome in April 2007. It comes up 4.99EUR. Is that really possible? Other routes do cost more so maybe it's just a "loss leader". Just wondered if others on this site found similar fares!
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:33 PM

crosner,

Haven't actually checked it for myself but, yes, it's quite possible. Bear in mind the following, however;

1). When Ryanair say "Venice" they actually mean Treviso. Depending on your particular circumstances there could be extra costs & time involved in getting to Treviso.

2). You will still need to add taxes & charges on to the base price. If you select a couple of the flights as if you were going to actually book them you'll see what the actual full price will be.

3). Ryanair also charge now for each item of checked luggage.

I'm not having a go at Ryanair as I'm a big fan - just trying to draw these points to your attention.

Jim
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Definately possible - sometimes you can get a fare for a penny. However, there will be surcharges and taxes, so go through the entire process before getting too excited. Also, Ryanair have reduce their baggage allowance to 15KH, so if you ar traveling with more than that, don't forget to calculate the extra baggage charge (there and back).

Just to let you know, when I did this caclulation for a flight recently, I found that Ryanair was about $30 more expensive than BA, even though one leg of the Ryanair flight was only 1p.
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:38 PM
yk

Yes, you're corret. It is € 4,99. Adding Taxes and Fees, it comes to € 28,27.

Also, from Venice, it leaves from Treviso airport instead of the Marco Polo Airport. Treviso is a good 30-45 minutes outside of Venice, and you'll need to take a coach to get into Venice.

The fare about does not include checked baggage fee (€4,50 if purchased in advance; or €10 purchased at airport); or any excess baggage fee you may incur (€8/kilo).

Do a search here on Ryanair and read the pro/con posted here.

Also read the FAQ on Ryanair before you book.

When you add up all the extra costs and the trouble & time of getting to Treviso airport, you may find the € 4,99 not really that great of a deal!
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Venice to Rome is one route I would not fly on Ryanair, and I am generally a fan of budget carriers. The reason is that you can get a train that takes about 5 hours, and goes from city center to city center. When expenses getting to/from airports are figured in, and the necessary time to arrive at the airport in advance, the time savings are non-existent or even negative.

On the other hand, I have had flights where I've traveled 1000 miles or so for about 40 or 50 Euros all-inclusive. That would be hard to beat.
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

All very helpful--thanks! Sometimes "too good to be true" should rule the day. But it sounds more like "buyer beware"==know what I'm getting into and I won't be disappointed.

Still working on the itinerary, timing, pricing and enjoying it all!
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:59 AM
ira

I agree with WT.

Take the train from Venice to Rome.

Getting to/from airports will add at least 2 hr and at least 20E. Plus, you have to arrive early at Treviso.

It's 4:30 hr by ES* train, costs 45E in 2cl.

Oct 31st, 2006, 07:07 AM

Usually Ryan Air has a coach service to and from the airport (at a charge of course but much cheaper than a taxi). I have booked a flight for next Spring (against my better judgement!!!!) as I can fly direct from Fes to Marseille and other airlines are much more expensive and go through London. We have flown EasyJet once and the flight was great except for the baggage allowance. Be aware that Ryan Air is reducing its baggage allowance to 15 kg per person in November (down from 20kg). i would definitely take the train on the route you mentioned.