Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Russian Trains-Tragic Bombing and Recommendation

Nov 28th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Greetings,

There was a bombing yesterday on the Moscow-St Petersburg train (the 'fast' daytime train, roughly equivalent to the Acela between New York and Washington). At least 25 people lost their lives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/wo...a.html?_r=1&hp

At this point we are recommending to our clients that they NOT take the train (either the daytime train or the overnight, known as Red Arrow and similiar names, that depart at approximately midnight from Moscow and St Petersburg and arrive in the morning at their destination). Despite other concerns, we are encouraging our clients to book on the flights between the two cities.

I have a great deal of experience personally in taking both trains and planes throughout Russia; I live in Moscow part time, and have traveled there regularly for the past 10 years as well as work with hundreds of people visiting each year, and it pains me to recommend this. Until we see improvements in the security systems, though, we believe that the planes are safer than trains in Russia.

Marc David Miller
Dec 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM

Are you still recommending that people not take the trains?
Dec 26th, 2009, 11:52 AM

Perhaps he's now recommending that people don't fly from AMS
Dec 26th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Since security has not been tightened on the tracks, and based on comments from security experts, I am still recommending that people fly between Russian cities.

I truly do not understand alanRow's comment.
Dec 26th, 2009, 08:01 PM

I assume it's a reference to the attempt to blow up the airliner. I believe the flight originated at Schiphol (AMS).
Dec 27th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

alanRow's remark was inappropriate; people have to make choices in their lives, and sarcasm under such circumstances is in poor taste.

I pray that no one on the Fodors' forums ever has to comfort two parents who have to bury their only child because of a terrorist attack on a train in Russia, or on an airplane, in building, or anything else of the sort.
Jan 18th, 2010, 08:47 AM

We are looking at travelling by train next month. Are you still recommending people to fly instead of going by train? And does your recommendation only go for the Moscow-Saint Pete line, og does it go for all train travel in Russia? Cheers!
Feb 6th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Despite opening myself up for sarcasm, I would still recommend flying over a train. There was an apparent bombing on Tuesday, February 2:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/03/wo...-brfs-002.html

My recommendation applies for all of Russia; however, there are some routes where it is easier to take the train rather than fly. For clients we would explore what options they have, and let them decide. By and large, trains are running without problems, but there are issues of potentially putting oneself in harms way when there are clear alternatives.