Flights from USA to Moscow Russia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our tour is booking flights on Aeroloft from New York to Moscow. How does the airline compare to others?
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 01:27 PM

I just got back from St. Petersburg, and I believe Aeroflot recently gone through a fleet modernization, presumably after becoming part of Sky Team. When we landed, there were planes all over the airport that were clearly not in service anymore, and I know Aeroflot has had a poor track record in the past with their planes, although not entirely judicious about reporting accidents. They used to fly Tupolevs but retired the last one in January of this year. They fly both Airbuses and Boeings now. If it were me though, I'd fly Delta from JFK, although I can't speak from experience.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM

I wouldn;t do it if I had a choice of an american or major european carrier.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM

Their Intl flights are much better than their domestic flights. Other than turning a blind eye to the 'no smoking' rules, they feel much like a major carrier for intl
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM

The smoking alone would decide it for me.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 03:13 PM

I've flown with Aeroflot's Tuppies as far east as Uzbek SSR (now Uzbekistan)in the 80's, and also internally as recently as '08...on their Airbuses.
All I can say is fly with an Ameican carrier, although we got to Moscow on that '08 trip with British Airways, LAX to LHR..and on to Moscow. Went back to LAX the same way. Lufhthansa has some good connections from NY to Moscow. I believe. We flew Luft to Bucharest a few years ago from L.A., connection Frankfurt.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 05:25 AM

Not to scare the OP, those domestic Tuppie flights of the 80s is what still simmers and gives Aeroflot its current reputation. In Uzbeck, you probably saw the cannibalization of planes on the Tarmac for spare parts for the next flight(urggh), and during the flight you couldnt belive it would hold together.

But I can say that their Intl flights are much better, even domestically they fly better planes on most routes. Caveat- I havent flown them Internationally since they stopped their LAX - Moscow nonstop. Also since Lufthansa will fly direct to places like SVX from Frankfurt, there hasnt been much of a need for me to fly Aeroflot domestically, but every so often I do find myself on a flight- like nytraveler suggested, the smoke alone is a pain
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 06:40 AM

Frank.....you're right about that...my most serious probem wih the old Aeroflot Tuppies was their pilot's compunction to take off and land with the steepest ascents and dive-bomber descents. This could make a white-knuckle flyer out of Chuck Yaeger! The strips at Samarkand, Bukhara and Tashkent were as uneven as I've ever experienced.
stu
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 06:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Our tour is booking flights on Aeroloft from New York to Moscow."

And, I assume that means you have absolutely NO choice, right? If correct, then telling you to use some other carrier is really not helpful.

If you'd like to see how tyhe airline compares to others in terms of TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE passenger reviews then you might be better off going to www.airlinequality.com and reading what people said there.