Reload this Page >

Russell Square - Restaurant Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Isabelle

Can someone please recommend some moderately priced restaurants in the Russell Square neighborhood of London? I am staying at the Le Meredien Russess Square Hotel and would like to find a few restaurant choices if I want to stop for a meal. Just of note, I don't care for Indian food. Many thanks.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Elizabeth

The cafe in the British Museum is really really nice, and museum admission is free. Don't know if it is open any evening but it's super whenever it is open and reasonably priced.<BR><BR> And--too bad you don't like Indian food!!! <BR><BR> I also enjoyed a fish place recommended here called North Sea. <BR><BR> Also look up address of the Wagamama in Bloomsbury (where you'll be), it is nice and not expensive and very easy to eat in alone if that's what you're doin g( so is British Museum ).

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Sue

Isabelle, I am often in London staying in the Bloomsbury area, and always try to go to the North Sea Fish Restaurant, which was highly recommended to me as "the best fresh fish in London". And it is wonderful and inexpensive. It's not a far walk from the Russell Square Tube station, on Leigh Street. Look on a map to see how to get there. Be sure to go!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:07 PM
nancy

I, too, recommend Wagamama. Very good food, very reasonable. You do sit at large tables with others. Very casual.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:46 PM
KenCT

Try Savoir Faire at 42 New Oxford Street. It's a French bistro, pretty authentic I would assume, since many of the customers were speaking French. <BR><BR>It has prix fixe lunch and "pre-theatre" dinner specials. Was only there once, but was very pleased with the meal, the service, and the prices.<BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:57 PM
joyce

A second for Savoire Faire, we came across it walking from the British Museum . We enjoyed a super lunch .It is a small place ,six or seven tables only, and the non smoking one was by the door,cute! We would go back again. j

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Ben Haines

There's a good clutch of three restaurants on Cosmo place, between Russell Square and Queen Square. The pub on the corner there serves meals not quite at top pub meal standard, but not bad. For a top standard pub, ten minutes walk eastward to the end of Great Ormond Street takes you to Lambs Conduit Street, with a range of cuisine at pavement tables, and a real Young's pub, with meals, the Lamb and Flag. In the other direction, on the west side of Russell Square looms the Senate house, model for the Ministry of Truth in the novel 1984, and the setting for the film of the fascist Richard III. Don't look up, walk boldly in, and from Monday to Friday MacMillan s, on the ground floor, serve good self-service food, hot and cold.<BR><BR>As a bachelor, I usually eat alone, and so do many women<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR><BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:48 AM
stacy

A block or two south of the Lamb (I think it's the Lamb - isn't the Lamb and Flag in Covent Garden, Ben?) on Lamb's Conduit Street (opposite side of the street) is a wonderful "gastro-pub" called the Perseverence - pub ambiance, but more upscale food. (I think they take reservations, but I don't know how necessary that is - they did fill up at lunch.) Lamb's Conduit Street has apparently become a hotbed of trendy restaurants, and is a pleasant walk over from Russell Square.<BR><BR>The Friend at Hand (?), around the corner from the Russell Hotel (you can see the sign to your right as you walk to the Underground) is a reasonable place for a standard pub lunch close to the hotel.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Fattie R. Buckle

The Friend At Hand is sometimes pretty uneven. I ate there at least one meal a day a few years back because it was so good. The next year I ate there twice and gave up. This spring it was back to average, but it is a nice pub. Also, straight down Southampton Row is a psuedo-French restaurant called Denise’s, I ate there with friends a couple of times and they’re always impressed, though I’ve not been, particularly.<BR><BR>I agree that it’s too bad the poster doesn’t like Indian food. The Chambeli on Southampton Row is one of my favorites for more up-scale Indian.<BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:40 AM
janis

Most of the recommendations have been good, but I second the British Museum. There is a cafe inside the museum and two cafes and a restaurant in the Great Court. The Restaurant is semi-pricey but really good. the Great Court is open late even when the museum is closed.<BR><BR>Plus you won't be far from Covent Garden and Soho withh all the choices there.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Isabelle

Thanks for the suggestions!