Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lunch recommendations new major tourist spots?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to London in early September. Will make the usual rounds to Tower, Westminster, British Museum, Covent Garden etc... I would appreciate lunch recommendations of tasty food, pubs etc... near these typical tourist locations. I don't want to be stuck in a tourist trap place with $$$ but lousy food. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:34 PM

We really enjoyed lunch at the upstairs restaurant in the Red Lion Pub on Parliament Street near Westminster Abbey. Cost was around 8 pounds for a tasty plate lunch.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 06:35 PM

Two of my favorite pubs:

Across the street from the British Museum is the Museum Pub--excellent fish and chips.

Covent Garden: As you exit the tube station and turn right to head into the market area, there's a pub on the first corner--on the right. The White Lion. Go around the corner to enter and go up the narrow stairs (rowdy footballer types in the bar on the ground floor). Upstairs is a small pub room. Take a table at the window and watch the world go by below as you eat the best turkey/ham/mushroom pie in the world (with a glass of beer, of course!).

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:31 PM

I was only in London for a very few days recently for the first time BUT we ate in the cafeteria at St. Martins in the Fields crypt near Trafalgar Square.

Not only was it an unusual setting, but the food was delicious and reasonable.
The desserts were very good as was the food.
Enjoy.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 08:31 PM

All over London are carry out lunch shops called Pret a Manger. They have healthy and tasty food, its cheap, and they're everywhere. I use it a lot when I'm there and don't want to take a bunch of time for lunch. You'll be with the locals.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 11:54 PM

There are plenty of good, fairly 'posh' resaurants that offer great value lunch deals for about $20 for three courses, including VAT but not a tip (10-12.5%). Le Deuxieme on Long Acre, Incognico on Shaftesbury Avenue are two that appeal. The National Portrait Gallery has a lovely restaurant with fantastic views of Parliament. Go early, or book ahead. All of these places are near to Covent Garden.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 02:32 AM

One of my favorite places to lunch in London is the restaurant at the Fortnum & Masons department store. It has a relaxed elegance and the food was surprisingly good (and good value for money as well).
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone have a thought for lunch around the Tower? We will be doing that during a morning and be ready for lunch after.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:03 PM

St. Katharine's Dock is to the left along the river when you go out of the Tower. The Dickens Pub has a nice restaurant on the third floor (U.S., their second) that is a little pricey and a pizza place on the second floor that is less expensive. It is a very pretty place.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:49 PM

The Dickens Inn (Pizza Parlor, Pub, and restaurant) is one option.

But if you walk across the bridge you will find a ton of places on the south bank - everything from the terrific Blueprint Cafe, to sandwich shops, to pubs, and two restaurants inside the Globe theatre.