Reload this Page >

rush hour in Munich?

Search

rush hour in Munich?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:55 AM
K

rush hour in Munich?

Can anyone tell me when the am & pm "rush hours" are in Munich, Germany? I have heard that driving in the inner city during such times is to be avoided if possible, and I am trying to work out my rental car pick-up & drop off times based on this.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>K.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Veronica

Rush hour is the same as anywhere else, about 7-9 am and 4-7 pm. If you are really worried about traffic, try to do all rental car business between 10 and 2.<BR><BR>Veronica

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Dick Yeager

K<BR><BR>Try to be more specific. When/where are you picking your car up? When/where do you want to drop it off? Who is your auto rental company? Etc.......<BR><BR>Dick

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 11:02 AM
jjj

Do you have to drive the car in downtown Munich, maybe you could just drop off & pick up at the airport.<BR><BR>You do not need a car to get around Munich, the city transportation is excellent. If you need a car to head to other towns think about getting it somewhere along the outskirts of the U/S route and you will not have to drive downtown at all.<BR><BR>After spending 4 days there last year and watching the traffic, I would never drive a car in that town; the drivers are scary; there is virtually no parking, and all the cars had dings and dents in them. I hope you can avoid it if possible.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Linda

Dear K, We rented a car in Munich recently and it was not a problem. We picked it up at the airport (very easy) around 10. There was a little bit of traffic between the airport and Munich, but not a problem (avoid the far right-hand lane and the left passing lane, though). Trucks are required to use the right-hand lane and it does get backed up. We returned the car to Hertz on a week-day morning around 11. No traffic problems to speak of, but finding the parking garage then getting on the right level to return the car was a challenge. If I were to do it all over again, I would return it to the airport or in the little town where we stayed. Unfortunately, Hertz did not have an office in Murnau. Have fun. Driving on the Autobahn was a highlight of our trip.<BR>Linda