Running with the Bulls

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Millo

Running with the Bulls

Has anyone been to Pamplona recently? I'm going to catch the last weekend of Running with the Bulls in July and I don't know what to expect - where to stay and what is there to do etc. Any experience?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:47 PM
mpprh

Hi

Slightly off topic.

If you can't make the Pamplona dates, be aware that bull running is a very common activity during the summer in parts of Spain, Camargue, and Languedoc.

Between April and October bulls are running somewhere in Languedoc every weekend, and often during the week too.

Even small villages have wild weekend festivals.

Read about Languedoc on my home page -

http://tlp.netfirms.com

Peter

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:21 AM
JxF

And I'd be very curious if anyone has a personal experience to share from Pamplona ??? I ain't gonna sign up, but feel free to express a differing POV. For me, I think that bull running rates as one of the top ten nutty things to do. Different strokes ....

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:48 AM
mpprh

Hi

I tend to agree, but the cheap food and booze while you wait to see the bulls followed by the nightlong live music makes up for it.

Er, unless you live there , like me !

As a matter of interest , there are several deaths each year, here in Languedoc from bull running.

Peter

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Caro

A college student I know (American) ran with the bulls in Pamplona last year, and he said it was exhilarating. His mother heard about it after the fact and nearly had heart failure. I think bull running must be testosterone related.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Laura

I ran twice in the mini running of the bulls that is held on Easter Sunday in Arcos de la Frontera in the Andulusia Region. It is fun/scary as hell and I think about each and every Easter! Although only one bull is on the street at a time, the streets are narrow and tons of people prevent you from getting away from the bull. Yes, people get gored every year (since most of the Spaniards are trashed!). I don't know if I'd have the cahones to do the mass bull running in Pamploma.....wish I had the opportunity to decide.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:50 PM
x

I think I can outrun rex any day

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:24 AM
el toro

Now that the week long fiesta is finished, I'm interested if anyone was there for the 'run'. I was channel surfin' on Saturday and happened to catch a "color commentary" of the events in Pamplona. Yes, ESPN actually recapped the week's events providing statistics (X-amt of people were injured, or gored; nobody killed) --- they outlined the 1/2 mile run thru the streets pointing out the particularly perilous 'hamburger hill' (a corner where the bulls have to make a sharp turn and often fall down). Also amazed to learn this has been going on for over 400 years!