Running in Vondel Park: Safe?

Aug 27th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Running in Vondel Park: Safe?

I need to get in my morning runs while on vacation. If I head over to Vondel Park in the early AM (6-7AM) is it safe? Are there any areas to avoid?

Are there any better spots in the city to get a run in?
Aug 27th, 2010, 04:19 AM

It will be relatively safe, but dark. Sunrise is now 6.43 and in a couple of weeks will be after 7 am.
Just be aware that gays are allowed to have sex in the Vondelpark after dark.

There are a few other parks in Amsterdam, Sarphatipark, and Oosterpark maybe worth a look. Amsterdamse Bos is a bit further out so not so suitable for an early morning run, but is certainly worth a visit for a walk/run later in the day.

Or run along the Amstel River.
Aug 27th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

hetismij: THank you for the information! I thought about running along the canals...but figured the cobblestones, etc. and dodging bikes would kill me.

I'll look on Google Maps for the other parks and the river. Is there a path along the river?

I prefer to run in the open where there are people around (here in the US I run in residential neighborhoods). I try to avoid trails, woods, etc.
Aug 27th, 2010, 07:45 AM

If you're staying within reach of the Vondelpark but don't want to enter the park (I wouldn't worry at that time, though, but go see for yourself), then you are in the area where streets are wide, not like those on the other side of the Leidseplein in the horseshoe-shaped canals, so you can run on the broad sidewalks no problem.
Aug 27th, 2010, 08:42 AM

I have jogged many miles in Vondel Park, the premier jogging venue in Amsterdam - even at 7am you will not be alone -not nearly as other joggers will be out. IME Vondel Park is totally safe - been going to Amsterdam annually for 40 years and have never heard any problems in the Vondel Park, which is the best jogging venue i have seen in Amsterdam. There will also be a stream of bikers in the park early in the morning as this is one of the main bike commuter routes - so you never need be alone.

I have also ran virtually everywhere in Amsterdam - along canals are fine- i prefer to go against the flow of traffic on those one-way streets

And yes there is now a nice walking path along most of the harbor -esp going to the east.
Aug 27th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Dalai and PalenQ!! I'm looking forward to switching up my scenery on my runs (also need to squeeze in a run in Luxembourg and maybe even Brussels). It's also a great way to see some of the city...at least I think so!
Aug 27th, 2010, 09:32 AM

In Luxembourg City i used to run down to the bottom of the valley floor of the deep gorge that bisects the city on zigzagging footpaths and back up at the other end of the gorge.

In Brussels you will find sweet jogging up above the Grand' Place area- in the park of the Royal Palace.
Aug 27th, 2010, 10:15 AM

"gays are allowed to have sex in the Vondelpark after dark."

And I thought my early morning runs thru the Red Light District were adventurous! At 6-7 am, you should be safe most everywhere but if you have been running at that time previously, you'll know the signs.
Aug 27th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ: ohhhh, thanks for the tips for Lux and Brussels! I have access to treadmills in Brussels but why stay indoors? I currently run in 85 degrees with 80+ humidity...I am looking forward to some brisk morning runs!

Thanks Maca!!! Hmmmm, interesting runs through RLD? Maybe I will just run aimlessly through the city!

I need to do 2 runs in AMS, 1 in Brussels, and probably 1 in Lux. I'm looking forward to it!
Aug 27th, 2010, 12:19 PM

twiggers - i know how addiction to exercise is -i have ran, walked or biked vigorously every day of my adult life when possible -missing only a few days - for 30 years ran an average of 13 miles a day and LOVED every minute of it as i often was in amsterdam on business i ran literally all around town - if you must have an addiction exercise is one of the best!
Aug 27th, 2010, 12:28 PM

Hi Twiggers...not sure where you're staying in Brussels but I second PalenQ's rec of the Parc de Bruxelles by the Palace. Running around the Parc Cinquantenaire is great, too--depending on how far you want to run you could do a loop or two around both as they are not too far from each other. Also down Avenue Louise into the Bois de la Cambre is a nice route. The Bois de la Cambre has a neat lake with a gravel path around it. I run early in the morning and haven't had any issues but I don't run in the Bois in the dark because it is really dark and hard to see your footing. If it's really dark, I also stay on the pavement on the outside of the Parc Cinquantenaire just to have more visibility to those around me. I love running in new cities, too--a great way to sightsee and makes the run go quickly. Enjoy!
Aug 27th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Vondelpark is beautful!! Honestly I'd wait until the sun was up to do your run... for a number of reasons. Just seems wiser.
Aug 27th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ: Running is new to me. Been running for only 4-5 months now, but training for a half marathon.

Coll: Thank you for the recommendations!

I'm excited to see the cities this way!

Suze: At home I wake up at 5:30 and run, but I can imagine I'll be sleeping in a bit on vacation!