Search

Rue Monge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:50 AM
kilmej

Rue Monge

Hi!It will be my first time in Paris...I am thinking of reserving in Hotel des Arenes(3 star) in Rue Monge, the double room cost 72 euros!.Is it a good choice?What is your opinion?I am so worried...Thanks

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:58 AM
Brit

We stayed at Rue Monge (Hotel De France)in May. Room very small, but adequate - hey you are only going to sleep there. Its a good area, maybe 15 mins walk from Notre Dame through the Latin 1/4. The street behind has plenty of cafes for breakfast, a daily market with fresh fish, vegetables and fruit whilst at night there are loads of bars/bistros/restaurants with every type of food you could need. I would definitely stay in that area again.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:00 AM
Liz

I'll bet that good summer rate is because they don't have AC, if that matters.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
kilmej

Thank you for answering.Could I possibly find a double room in a better location than Rue Monge for 72 euros???You know,I would like to stay somewhere that I would feel safe.Last week I was robbed in Sevilla and I am very worried.So...?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:41 AM
kilmej

I called the Hotel de France and the receptionist told me that the double room costs 72 euros.Brit can you tell me did you feel safe there,was it nice?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:05 AM
kilmej

I called the Hotel de France and the receptionist told me that the double room costs 72 euros.Brit can you tell me did you feel safe there,was it nice?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:07 AM
kilmej

Thank you for answering.Could I possibly find a double room in a better location than Rue Monge for 72 euros???You know,I would like to stay somewhere that I would feel safe.Last week I was robbed in Sevilla and I am very worried.So...?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:34 AM
Christina

Kilmej, I'm not sure which hotel you are looking at as Hotel des Arenes is diff. from the other, isn't it? But in any case, that is a good area -- convenient and safe. That is a good rate and one reason is that area is not so popular with tourists as some more expensive real estate. I don't think you can do better in as convenient an area. I wouldn't worry about it. That is not far at all from the Seine, if that is your concern, if it's safety, don't worry. The Hotel des Arenes is also reasonable because it's not as publicized in guidebooks, etc.<BR><BR>If I were you, I'd choose the Hotel des Arenes, it's a 3star with minibar, TV, etc. I think the other hotel is only a 2-star and probably not as nice. If you book Arenes on www.france-hotel-guide.com, they say they will give you a free bottle of French wine! It's a good location, really, near place de Monge.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:32 PM
kilmej

Hi Cristina!Thanks for the good news!You make me feel better!So,in this price range 70+euros Hotel des Arenes is the best I can do?What is your opinion about Hotel de l'esperance in Rue Pascal?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:57 PM
Christina

I cannot guarantee that is the best you can do, but yes, it is a good rate for a 3-star hotel in a nice area close to the center. You can find something a little cheaper perhaps, but I don't really know a 3-star that cheap so close.<BR><BR>IN the Latin Qtr, the HOtel Cujas Pantheon (www.123france.com) is a good location and a good budget choice, but it is only a 2-star and they charge about 72 euro for a single, not a double (which will be very small, I'm sure). The Grand hotel des Balcons is in St-Germain nearby and another good budget choice, very convenient and safe, but it is about that rate for a single as well (a double is about 89 euro)--it is only a 2-star. <BR><BR>I have heard the Hotel l'Esperance is nice and a good budget choice, I would not worry about it, if you want to choose it instead. I do not have personal experience with these hotels, however, I just read a lot of reviews and articles (and travel forums).

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:12 PM
kilmej

Thanks Cristina!Lastly,I would like to ask you how much it takes to walk from Rue Monge to Blv St Michel(more or less)?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:50 PM
Alice

I'd say 15-20 minutes to walk from the Place Monge metro to the quai across from Notre Dame... anyone else want to estimate?

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Brit

Hi Again<BR><BR>Yes I did feel safe staying in Rue Monge, we walked back from Notre Dame after midnight more than once. In fact the only place in all of Paris I felt uncomfortable was on the Metro, lots of beggars and grafitti. It was much seedier than the London Underground or New York subway. There were some dodgy looking characters around Gare Du Nord and Moulin Rouge, but I figured they had plenty of more affluent targets than me.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 03:29 AM
Sonia

Hotel Moliere is near to Louvre and very cheap. Clean and comfortable.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Christina

Yeah, I think it would be about 15 minutes from place Monge directly west to bd St-Michel. I think it would be a bit longer to nearby Notre Dame, but not a whole lot. Depends on how briskly you walk versus strolling. There is a metro stop right there, though (Monge) which will take you across the river to stops near the island on the right bank (Pont Marie).