Rue Daguerre in Paris

Mar 16th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Rue Daguerre in Paris

From what I've read this seems to be a street with a lot of food shops on it, and it is mentioned a lot. We will be staying an easy walk from here, so it might be worth looking at. Can anyone provide further details about the attractions of this street?
Mar 16th, 2004, 01:38 PM

It's just a very pleasant market street, partially pedestrianized. If you start at the end near Avenue du Maine, you'll come across a nice wine bar specializing in the wines of Beaujolais (I can't remember the name) on the right hand side of the street.
Run by a very nice couple, Didier and Katy.

Just across the street is an accordian shop--fun to look at, even if you're not in the market for an accordian!

There's a decent wine shop, a good cheesemonger, lots of produce, and some cafes.

Rumor has it that Jim Morrison actually died in a building on rue Daguerre. The filmmaker Agnes Varda lives on the street, too--she has a documentary about the people who live there called "Daguerrotypes". I haven't been able to find it in the U.S.

Mar 16th, 2004, 02:56 PM

yeah, that about says it. It is a permanent market street, lots of good food stalls, and some cafes. There's a good Italian restaurant around there, also.

There are a couple good wine bars along there. Les Vins des Rues is a good one and is just off Daguerre (21 rue Boulard). It has simple, typical home-style cooking. Peret is another. Here's a description of wine bars/stores and describes them both:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...t/winebars.htm Cave St Vincent at 35 rue Daguerre is another wine shop. I think elle is thinking of l'Echanson, which is described here:

http://www.vineyardstars.com/lilbars.htm

Here's a good article about various Paris street markets and compares the atmosphere of Daguerre to other areas.

I just like to walk along it or sit in a cafe for a drink on it. I've bought food and wine and there are some cutesy artsy shops along there, also, and other household goods shops, a jewelry designer and hat shop, things like that.
Mar 16th, 2004, 02:58 PM

sorry I forgot the general article:

http://alpha.furman.edu/~ballen/7streets.htm
Mar 16th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Christina - interesting article on the markets. Thanks!
Mar 17th, 2004, 05:46 AM
ira

t
Mar 17th, 2004, 06:34 AM

Christina--is my face red!

The story about L'Echanson that you linked to was written by my husband (that site is his labor of love). I guess I could have just asked him, or thought to look on the site myself. . .whoops.
Mar 17th, 2004, 11:41 AM

ha ha ha -- that is really funny. I just found it in a google search as I knew the name. You'd better not let your husband know you don't even look at his web site.

Search this Thread