Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Rue Mouffetard the largest open-air market in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'll be in Paris 12/23-12/29 and wish to visit a street market. I'm not looking for a specialized market such as birds or stamps but something that sells a variety of products.
Thanks in advance,
==Mike
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 01:29 PM

It may sound like I'm teasing, but there are "market streets" and "street markets"...
These are market streets: (permanent, w/ shops that may 'spill out' into the street)
- rue Mouffetard
- rue Montorguiel
- rue Daguerre
- rue de Buci
- rue Poncelet
- rue Cler

These are street markets: (set up am, pack up pm, only certain days of the week) - I think all of these are the 'roving' kind...
http://www.paris.fr/EN/Living/markets/markets.ASP#3eme

Here are some articles about Mouffetard and Montorguiel...
http://www.metropoleparis.com/1997/7...5/censier.html

http://www.thiscityparis.com/travel-moufftard.html

http://www.metropoleparis.com/2000/506/506cafe.html
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 01:35 PM

I meant a more direct answer to your question as well...
The street markets (roving) are mostly food products, maybe some crafts or apparel or jewelry. The market streets have whatever products are sold by the stores/shops on that street. There is usually a very good variety - cheese, wine, produce, clothing, etc.

I do think Mouffetard might be the longest market street unless Montorguiel beats it. The entirety of rue Mouffetard is a market street; not sure how much of Montorguiel is 'market'. They are both very pleasant.

The specialty markets are probably included in the link to www.paris.fr that I gave you; I've heard of markets featuring: stamps, birds, flowers, books and art.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 01:41 PM

I was thinking about that disctinction, also, and think it can be important because I think Mike may not realized Mouffetard is just a street with a bunch of shops on it. Some aren't open-air at all, they are just shops. Some do have a front that is pretty open to the street during daytime (you'll see this on Buci, and some other market streets, also). However, it's a street known for a lot of food shops of all kinds, although there are a few other things in there. It's not like the bird/stamp market where vendors come and set up on certain days, though, and then go elsewhere.

Rue Mouffetard also has the roving guys down at the bottom (south) with produce, but I don't know if they are there in the winter.

I just stayed near another market street last summer, in the 9th -- rue des Martyrs, and there is Lepic up in Montmartre.

Mouffetard is fairly long, so it could be the largest, but not really that much more than some others I know. I don't think you could go wrong by going there, however, as long as you aren't expecting luxury goods or anything really special of that sort. There are some cheap clothing shops, etc., but it's mainly food, wine, coffee, edible stuff.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Place d'Aligre, which includes a covered market, may be larger than Mouffetard, and have a more international food selection.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Access Paris implies that some think that it is indeed the Oldest tho, dating from the 13th century!
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Place d'Aligre is both open and covered and also has a flea market. The market at Convention is also quite large as is Richard Lenoir..one of my favorites. Saxe Breteuil on Thus and Sat. is still my favorite.

Buci, Cler and Mouffetard are more market streets, IMO!

If you have time you might want to check out a great book with wonderful photos and vignettes.." Paris in a Basket" , I love it!
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Travelnut, Christina, Michael, SuzieC and Jody for the information. I will certainly research the information you provided.

I enjoy Rue Montorguiel for the food and atmosphere. My daughter (12), son (14) and wife enjoy shopping for a variety of clothes, trinkets, etc. I am attempting to find a market that will satisfy them.

Thanks again,

==Mike
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 09:59 PM

Moufetard and Montroguil are streets with lots of food stores.

For trinkets etc go to the marchés des puces S-M mornings at clinquincourt