Rubens at the Palace

Search

Rubens at the Palace

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubens at the Palace

Has anyone stayed here. We would like a nice hotel less than 300.00 per night to get over are jet lag. Some negative comments on Trip Advisor. We have stayed in places that were so cute and romantic that people have tortured on Trip Advisor. Some people don't recognize charm. Please help.

KP
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are actually quite a few threads on here about Rubens at the Palace. Try a search. I haven't stayed there since I usually rent a flat but have been inside the public rooms and have walked by it many times. The general concensus on here is most people really like it but there have been one or two less wowed by it.

So try a search and you may find lots of info.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 07:13 PM

I wouldn' really call it "charming" because it's bigger than what I call charming. It is however nice and the staff is very accommodating. The location is great, but if you're getting over jet lag does that mean sleeping? The rooms are comfortable but not large. Most rooms in London aren't terribly large. I've stayed there 3 times and was pleased each time.

One thing I enjoyed was eating a late "dinner" in the bar, listening to the piano player.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 07:21 PM

We have stayed at the Rubens twice, in 2004 and 2002. Both times, we got what I considered to be a very good rate thru londontown.com for a 4* hotel.

Our double room was smallish but nicely furnished with a large bath. The rooms are air conditioned which we appreciated even in May. I thought the buffet breakfast was very good with a wide variety of items as well as cooked to order toast and omelets. Other than breakfast, we did not eat at the hotel restaurant. The staff was friendly and helpful.

The location is great -- within a few blocks of Victoria Station, St. James Park and Green Park. You are directly across the street from the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace and walking distance to many other sights. We ate at several of the nearby restaurants including Bumbles (very good), Pizza Express and Bella Italia.

I would definitely stay at the Rubens again if the rate was reasonable.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:42 PM

We stayed there last year and liked the location around the corner from Buckingham Palace. The room was fine, small as they are but very nice. We were there the first night and the last night of our vacation with a visit to Paris via Eurostar in between. They allowed us to store our large luggage with the bell staff free when we went to Paris. Very Very accomodating staff.

Previously we stayed at The Rembrandt.. which we loved.. thought the location was better near Harrods and museums..