Royal Collection - Aug/SEPT?

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 06:56 PM
tmh
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Collection - Aug/SEPT?

Plans are to go to Buckingham Palace in September to see one of the paintings in the Royal Collection. I am a fan of Johannes Vermeer's work with a plan to see all 34. I'm up to 26 and this and the one in Kenwood are still to be seen.

Question: is the Vermeer, in fact, in the part of the Palace that I need to go to during Aug/Sept? Or is it in the another part of the collection I can see any time? I've read the website over and over and stumble through it each time.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Most likely (as they do rotate the exibition of the collection), you could see Vermeers's "The music lesson" at Queen's Gallery( next door to Buckingham Palace), they open daily whole year. Please check: www.royalcollection.org.uk.

Nice to meet another fan of Vermeer, I have seen most of his work in Europe(except theose two in Dresden- plan to see this winter).

You might like to leave a bit more time for Kenwood, as it's gardens are quite extensive with excellent views of London, and nice place to have an afternoon tea.

Have you seen these two at National Gallery?
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Check the Royal Collection's website - they have a searchable database.

But you can not be 100% sure of seeing any particular work, since they are continuously rearranged, loaned out and special exhibitions are staged.

If you must see The Music Lesson, I'd e-mail the Royal Collection and ask where/if it is on view.

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
tmh
Original Poster

Thanks.

I did look at the website and the use of Royal Collection and State Rooms had be wrapped around the axle.

Judy C: I have seen the ones at the Nat'l Gallery. For some reason I thought Kenwood was in mid-UK ...poor research on my part during that trip.

janisj: Not sure why that light bulb didn't go on - I'll email them to make sure.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Another Vermeer fan here...be sure to check essentialvermeer.com too, because there are quite a few loans of Vermeers going on in the next 6 months to Tokyo and California. I know one in the UK is going, but I forget which one. That website has good information, but I always confirm anyway.

I always email the museums now before I book a trip to see Vermeers to confirm they will be there, because I missed one in Vienna once before when it was on loan.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
yk

I agree it's a good idea to email the galleries/museums before your trip to make sure the painting will be on view. Sometimes they can be on loan, or even just taken down for restoration.

I saw the Vermeer at Kenwood House last September. Do spend some time in Hampstead Heath before or after your visit. Very nice area to stroll.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
tmh
Original Poster

AmyB: Thanks SO much for that site. Looks like I need to head to Japan instead. While none of the ones from England are at risk of being gone, I would see four new ones: Brunswick (Braunschweig), Las Vegas, Scotland and Vienna.

yk: I like your idea of Hamstead Heath. I'd also like to see sites associated with Jane Austen having just read Pride & Prejudice for the first time! So much to see so little time...
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Wynn Vermeer (from Vegas) is like the Loch Ness Monster...see it when you can because it's only on "special" displays now when Wynn decides to loan it out! (No longer on display in Vegas itself).

My sis and I are on the Vermeer quest, but one of her "rules" is to only see them in their home museums...so Japan won't help us! ;-)
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
yk

tmh - I took a London Walks tour of Hampstead Heath. I really enjoyed it as otherwise I would have never been able to see/know as much if I had just walked around by myself.