Route help Salzburg to Munich by car

Oct 1st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Route help Salzburg to Munich by car

We had been planning a day's drive from Salzburg to Munich along a southerly scenic route which had been recommended on these forums.

Now, however, I see that if we stick to a more direct route along the A8, we would pass right by a lake with one of Ludwig's castles (Herrenchiemsee) which is on a little island that you reach by ferry. That sounds lovely.

So....any opinions on one over the other?
Danke!
Oct 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM

The autobahn passes right by the lake. There are a few rest areas right at the lake. It doesn't take very long on the autobahn to get to Salzburg anyway. I'd exit at Prien and have a look around however.
Oct 1st, 2009, 12:36 PM

I would stop and see the castle. My opinion: better than the rest. Their are 2 islands if memory is correct. I have visited 2 times but 20 years ago. have a nice trip. jv
Oct 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM

Arindasue, Herrenchiemsee is an old monasatery that Ludwig acquired and attempted to remodel it to resemble Versailles. It's a very interesting site to visit although it was never completed remodeled. IMO the tour is better than Neuschwanstein although the walk from the dock to the castle can be as tiring as up the mountain.

I only visited the island castle once and on that day the weather was perfect for a ferry ride. Sunny, blue skies and a calm lake. The ride was very tranquil and restful. Good memories of that day I guess!

IMO it is worth seeing even if you go out of your way.

Are you planning any salt mine tours in Salzburg? The Berchtesgaden salt mine tour was another fun tour if you get the chance.
Oct 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM

Hi,

Why not combine the two? From Salzburg, head towards Berchtesgaden, past Ramsau and then towards Inzell. This drive will give you some pretty terrific mountain scenery. From here you'll head up to the A8 and then to Prien and then take the boat and tour Herrenchiemsee (Neues Schloss). We were there 2 years ago. The palace is probably our favorite of Ludwig's creations. The walk is a pretty flat 20 minutes or so from the dock to the palace itself. If so inclined, they also have carriages waiting that make the trip also.

http://www.herrenchiemsee.de/englisc...lace/index.htm

If you'd like to see some pic's along the drive I've mentioned:

www.worldisround.com/articles/338872/index.html

Paul
Oct 1st, 2009, 06:06 PM

IMHO Herenchiemsee is by the far the most interesting of the castles Mad Ludwig spread over the countryside. While the Linderhof is sort of wedding cakey, and Neuschwanstien looks like Disney (I know it's the reverse, but it also seems like Disney) Herrenchiemsee is alike a real Central European castle. Definitely worth a visit.

If you want a tour in English check the times; we did none in German and it wasn't a huge loss as long as you buy the little guide book. (I buy those at every sight we go to - as souvenirs as well as guides.)
Oct 1st, 2009, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, all.

Paul. What a great idea...best of both worlds!