Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to DIY the "Sound of Music" tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're spending one day (no overnights) in Salzburg as a side trip from Munich. We considered doing the Sound of Music tour as a way of seeing a few different sights, but we're not rabid fans of the movie. How many of the sights on the tour can be seen WITHOUT a car in Salzburg? Can we get to the lake region by foot or public transit?

The tour goes to:
Mirabell Gardens
Leopoldskron Castle
Lake Wolfgang
Hellbrunn Castle
St. Gilgen

One other thing...the guided tour departs early so we'd have to take the 6:30 train out of Munich! I think jet lag will work against us on that one.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:49 PM

I'm trying to remember...we took a Sound of Music Bus Tour. It took us to a place where we got off the bus and saw the "house" with the lake in front of it from a distance. It drove us to the little village of Mondsee where the church is that Maria was married in, in the movie and gave us ample time to visit it as well as enjoy hot apple strudel at one of the cafes. The tour ended by depositing us at Mirabell Gardens. Quite honestly...you could do everything we were able to do on your own if I'm not mistaken. Personally, I'd skip the tour.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Your question said WITHOUT a car...and it WOULD be more complicated. The tour is a little hokey but you DO get to see a lot of the area, and certainly a good way to get an overview. I don't remember it being TOO long, perhaps 3 hours ???,. IT was a van of just a few people. You would still have time to walk the streets of Salzburg that same day and return to Munich that night.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:50 AM
ira

Hi K,

>We're spending one day (no overnights) in Salzburg as a side trip from Munich....
The tour goes to:
Mirabell Gardens
Leopoldskron Castle
Lake Wolfgang
Hellbrunn Castle
St. Gilgen<

I suggest that you buy the Salzburg card and stay in Salzburg.

The card will give you free admission for the boat ride up to Hellbrunn Castle and the Castle tour.

You can take the bus back to Mirabell Gardens.

You don't have time to see Salzburg and St. Gilgen.

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 08:05 AM

Schloss leopoldskron is currently occupied by the Salzburg Seminar.

You probably won't get in to see anything of the inside (which as I recall was modeled on a soundstage for the supposed interior scenes). There were a couple of brief, exteriors of this location in the movie.

Personally, I would spend my time at places such as Hellbrunn enjoying the tirck fountains, etc., but that's obviously a subjective opinion.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 08:07 AM

It's very easy to get to lake Wolfgang area by frequent public bus from Salzburg and cheap.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 12:13 PM

One editorial comment. I took a Sound of Money tour (my money becoming theirs) and considered it to be the champion of egregious ripoffs. (I will expound further only upon request.)

Of the places listed, Schloss Hellbrunn is available by bus from Salzburg. The trick fountains are the main fun thing to do. That old gezebo is somewhere on the grounds. Junky little thing in reality.

The Mirabell Gardens are open to anyone as far as I know.

Leopoldskron is the last I heard closed to the general public. The tour I was on drove by the door so we could wave.

St. Gilgen can be reached by bus, but on their schedule. The church in which the wedding was filmed is in St. Gilgen.
It is worth seeing, but for what you pay for the tour, two of you could rent a car and drive out there and have time to really see it. We had time to sniff it.

Given all the features of Salzburg, I would put a SoM tour at the very bottom of my priority list, well below the Mendoza line.

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM

As I stated earlier and Bob has confirmed, Schloss Leopoldskron is in private hands.

That gazebo...we were told that a tourist once tried to recreate the "dance" scene and fell and injured herself as a result and that the gazebo was moved to a place where it wasn't so easily accessible.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM

I thought the gazebo was moved to be convenient for the bus tours and also to not bug the individual visitors to Hellbrunn.
Sure, you can do a SoM tour on your own, but you probably can't do the whole thing as efficiently in one day.
Weather may play a role in how much you can get done. On our late May/early June trip to Salzburg last year it was cold and rainy (sometimes VERY rainy) the whole 5 days. No boats were able to run to Hellbrunn as a result. And there was an absolute deluge when our tour hit St. Gilgen, all we could do was dash to a cafe, eat cake and watch the torrents bucketing down. A few hardy souls ran for the church, looked around, then ran back to the bus at top speed just to avoid getting completely drenched.
I'm glad we did it as a tour because I was traveling with my 79 yo mother who tires easily...she liked relaxing on the bus and being shephered from sight to sight. Plus we had a good guide who filled us in on lots of non SoM stuff about Salzburg. (Our tour ran overtime because of the weather problems.)
FWIW, I think the Red Bull connection to St. Gilgen is a lot more interesting than the SoM connection.
And the gazebo was the least interesting part of Schloss Hellbrunn. I went back to spend about five hours there...I loved the trick fountains (although the thunderstorm we had during the tour proved that Mother Nature can outdo manmade waterworks any day), the audio tour in the schloss (esp. the bit about the sunflower painting), the exotic fish pools, the folk museum at the top of the hill (I was the only one there, they had to unlock the doors to let me in, but I really enjoyed it).
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Okay, after reading your posts I think I'm leaning towards seeing Salzburg on our own.

One question, though -- we'd love to see some the lake/mountain scenery. What's the best place to see it without venturing too far off the beaten path? I guess I'm just asking for the most scenic vantage point close to downtown Salzburg.

Will definitely check out Hellbrunn. That sounds like the type of place where I WOULDN'T want to be rushed along by a tour guide!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:19 PM

All this is extremely!! funny to read, a tour based on a (3rd grade) hollywood musical never seen on ORF TV (or any German TV station btw.), on which some tourists base their view of the foreign nation they visit. "Sound of what?"
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:24 PM

Actually, at Hellbrunn you shopuld take one of the tours since that is when they end up "demonstrating" the trick fountains as I recall (be very, VERY careful where you sit at that first stop).

As to the gazebo..my understanding was they moved it and made it somewhat inaccessible...or somehow forbade anyone from actually going inside it..but appranently I was misinformed.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Simmer down, logos. I am not a Sound of Music fan, but the tour seemed to go to several places I was already inetersted in seeing. With one day in Salzburg and no car, we had considered it as a form of transportation if no other option were available.

Don't worry, I'm not going to be twirling around in the pastures and singing. Nor do I expect to meet Captain Von Trapp. Sheesh. Besides, I'm tone deaf.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:26 PM

>not... twirling around in the pastures and singing
That's a relief! I was just thinking of hundereds of american tourists on the mountain tops "twirling around", singing songs from shmaltzy hollywood musicals.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:35 PM

And that gazebo is not the one of the film ...they made a copy of it in the hollywood studio.. I suppose they didn't want the actors to be injured
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Don't worry. If I tried to sing they would probably send in animal control, assuming some large mountain-dwelling critter was in severe pain

Feel free to suggest any Salzburg faves! We love interesting buildings/architecture, great cheap local food, and jaw-dropping scenery.

Ira -- do you have a link for info on the Salzburg card?

Also, thanks for all the suggestions of best places to see...very helpful! I'm adding all the info to my lil' Salzburg trip-planning word document.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:42 PM

Salzburg Card info in english :

http://www2.salzburg.info/sehenswertes_281.htm
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:28 PM

I'm confused...we definitely were taken to Mondsee and told that the wedding scene was filmed here. There's also a website that shows it as such.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:56 PM

We did the Panorama SoM bus tour with our family of 6 less than 2 weeks ago (not my idea... done to appease others). It was the worst 3 hours of the entire 2.5 week trip in my opinion. Utterly boring. You're taken to a lake and you can see the property that was used for the back of the house from across the lake. The bus that goes from Salzburg to Grodig takes you past this lake. The tour then takes you to Hellbrunn and you spent 10 minutes looking at the Gazebo - no time for anything else. You're then taken to an Alpine Luge (5 minute ride behind tour group stopping all over the tracks to video everything - 4&euro. Then you stop at a scenic overview of St. Gilgen and take pictures. Then you're taken to Mondsee (this is where the church Maria and Georg were married in in the movie is located) and dropped off for a little under an hour. Last stop is Mirabell gardens.

Admittedly, I abhor big bus tours. But 45€ per person for the quality of the tour made (still makes) me sick.

My advice - buy the 40th anniversary DVD of the SoM for far less money than even 1 admission ticket for the tour. And enjoy the other lovely things to do in Salzburg
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 04:27 PM

Yes, the wedding scene was filmed at Mondsee Cathedral in Mondsee(not St. Gilgen)~~~a beautiful little town and a beautiful drive getting there. My husband and I drove out again just last year after 30 years. Took the tour the first time with our 3 children, but wouldn't take it a second time. I still say it is a good way to get a overview of the city and the beautiful Mts. surrounding, even though we always have our rented car....(I must confess to NOT being a snob about the tour).I do notice it is FROM 35 euro,children FROM 18 euro, and I'm not sure it is worth it. Perhaps? When we were first there we were living overseas, and our children were ages 9,10,12 and we were all ripe for enjoying gorgeous Salzburg and the area around.The most popular musical of all time hadn't been out too long, and that "time" is filled with nostalgia for me. My husband likes Mozart so the city was perfect for us. (plus a lot of other things to see and do!!!)

Salzburg has been accused of being too "touristy", but please overlook that part. To me that just means it is wonderful and people enjoy seeing it.

I hope you would still have enough time to see some of the things IN the city that you want.
Hard to do it all in just one day...can you stay night ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -