Route from Avignon to Moustiers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for ideas on driving from Avignon to Moustiers, where we will be staying for two nights before heading to Nice. Maybe a nice village or two to stop in along the way, and perhaps some restaurant recs in the towns(including Moustiers)as well. We will be traveling between Christmas and New Years. We like wine and quaint smaller towns, cathedrals, and of course, great food. Many thanks.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In Moustiers, "Les Santons" for lunch and for an upscale, "Bastide de Moustiers, to spend the night" But not sure if, like most places they are closed over those holidays.
I'd take the scenic D973
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Not sure where I was coming from but I do believe I was headed to Moustiers and went through a "gorge" that was in specatacularly rugged country. If a choice, take it.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:16 PM

The gorge reference was to the Gorges of Verdon.

From Avignon, I'd head to the N100, then through Lacoste, Bonnieux and Lourmarin on the way down to the D973.

Just south of Lourmarin, La Feniere is a terrific restaurant. I've only been there for dinner.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:16 PM

I think you mean the "gorge de Verdon?"
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Where are you staying in Moustiers?

Try to schedule a lunch stop in Castellanne on your way to Nice. It's a very nice small mountain town with a number of good restaurants; we chose the one in the hotel on a street off to the right of the big parking lot. That one just might be open during the holiday season.

On the way from Avignon, head through the Lubéron and stop at the Abbaye de Sénanque, famous in the summer for its lavender fields but beautiful any time of the year.

Not far below Grasse (on your route to Nice, perhaps) is the charming small town of Valbonne, known for its galleries and crafts. There's also an ancient, beautiful abbey church next to the main parking lot at the bottom of the town. With luck you might see a wedding.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:49 PM

Keith should you decide to do the Gorges de Verdon, give yourself plenty of time and this site should help you. I've done it twice and love it.:

http://www.beyond.fr/sites/verdon.html
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 10:26 PM

Here's what you do -

Spend a few hours in the morning visiting one or two Luberon villages on the way to Apt. then continue east on the N100 to Forcalquier - it is a gorgeous drive the whole way and Forcalquier would make a nice stop for lunch. From there, head across the plateau de Valensole, which is one of the top lavender-growing areas. Even out of season, it is very pretty - perfectly trimmed rows which just seem to go on and on.

In Moustiers, the "Santons" is a great choice. Also, the restaurant right next door, who's name escapes me was quite good.

-Kevin
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 03:04 AM

Hi Keith,

We drove through Les Gorges du Verdun last year and it was really beautiful. A word of caution, the roads might be tricky at your time of year...I'd watch the weather carefully. Underhill may be speaking of Nouvel Hotel du Commerce in Castellane...we stayed for a night and had a wonderful, wonderful dinner in their restaurant ,but, they were closing for the season right after we left in mid-October. I'd call and check..it may be different this year.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay. Thanks so much for everyone's great suggestions. We are staying at Bastide de Moustiers but I want to eat in town one night as well. Thanks again everyone!

keithp
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:57 PM

We stayed there and loved it! We bought one of those metal cigales on the wall and their bath salts and bath oil are so heavanly that I've been buying them eve since on their website boutique.